When you die, you just become nothing. You just stop feeling anything. Your heart stops and your brain stops. You rot and return to the earth. As long as you are a living creature, it is unavoidable.
— Doma to himself in Insect Hashira, Shinobu Kocho
As a Demon, Doma took the form of a young man with a moderately toned and muscular body, who is of a notably pale complexion and possessed unusually long, pointed nails that appeared to be stained a pale blue. His hair could appear either silver or a pale golden blond, and he wore it parted to his left, the shorter parts around his face seeming to flare out to either side around his head, curving backwards with one strand left down his face to fall between his eyes, while the longer parts were left to drape centrally down his back in a thinning spiral. His eyes have been described to be incredibly rare and beautiful, as, in color, they appeared to be made up of an array of rainbow pastel tones that fade into one another as they circle his irises, this unusual appearance even causing people to believe Doma is a blessed being who could communicate with the gods. The kanji for 'Upper Rank Two' (or 'Upper Rank Six,' at the time when he first met Gyutaro and Daki) is etched across them, and they were shaped to slope downwards towards the sides of his face, with a set of notably large, thick black eyebrows acting to frame them above.
Doma wore a blood-red turtleneck of a design that made it appear that the section between his neck and upper chest is covered by a black substance that looks like it's dripping slightly down his body, this same design repeated at his wrists and down his hands, as well as on the small, circular "blood stain" he adorned on his head. Below this, he wore a pair of straight, tan-colored pants of a pinstriped design, their cuffs visibly loose, which he secured with a pale green-tinged golden belt, its buckle a bright silver. On occasion, Doma may also have be seen sporting a black cloak, which he drapes around his shoulders, two lengths of purple and black cloth with a rectangular pattern also hanging from it around his neck, as well as a black, crown-like hat which is lined with gold around its frontal plates and has flowing black ribbons dangling from each of its sides. He is also usually seen holding a pair of sharp fans that were made entirely out of shining gold, a lotus design engraved across them and a hoop of jade-colored strings hanging from their bases, which acted as his primary weapons.
Doma is outwardly friendly, possessing an approachable and charismatic air, yet undeniably deadly and calculating. Under the belief that he is saving them from their suffering, Doma happily devoured his followers and other young women. While he may appear caring toward his comrades, he doesn't feel even the slightest sliver of grief over their deaths.
Doma is quite nihilistic and lacked human emotion, admitting that, even during his days as a human, the entire concept of emotion is completely foreign to him. Aware that this is abnormal, Doma compensated his empty "heart" with lies, learning to fake his emotions enough to deceive all but the most keen observers. He is a complete psychopath, lacking of empathy even for his dying parents and merely complaining about the smell of blood that hung in the room after their deaths.
In addition to his incapability to feel emotions, Doma had also displayed inhuman amounts of pain tolerance, comparable to borderline congenital analgesia. He had been shown to have several disturbing habits such as sticking his finger into his skull, puncturing a hole straight through his temples, and then fondling and fiddling with his brain in order to stimulate his memories from his long life with a completely serene expression in his face. During his interactions with fellow Upper Ranks, Akaza, he showed no negative reactions to his fellow member delivering two fatal blows to his head, in fact, he considered this to be their form of personal "greeting" between two "best friends." Doma has even implied that he actually enjoys these physical abuses as seen when he morbidly asked Muzan with excitement on what type of extreme self harm he should inflict on himself as punishment for his failure, and again expressed delight upon the severe pain he felt at Shinobu Kocho's numerous attempts to poison him to death and even cheerfully expresses his delight on the feelings and sensations of the poison destroying his body and how he might actually grow to "like" it.
Despite leading a cult, Doma is an atheist who staunchly believes that gods, Buddhas, and the afterlife does not exist. He believed that after death there is nothing and that people who "could not accept something so simple" are naive and dumb. However, after his death, he accepted that he is wrong and that Heaven and Hell actually do exist. He also displayed what arguably is his first true emotion—a crush on Shinobu, asking: "Is this what people call love? You're cute, Shinobu."
Abilities & Powers
Overall Abilities: Having held the position of Upper Rank 2, Doma is considered to be the third strongest Demon in the series. His combination of battle techniques and skill is powerful enough to overwhelm and defeat Shinobu, the previous Insect Hashira, without any difficulty and he is also noted to have defeated Kanae Kocho, the previous Flower Hashira, in the past. According to Doma, Akaza, Upper Rank 3, would have no chance in defeating him in battle. Considering this, Doma can be presumed to be an extremely powerful Demon, even though he isn't seen fighting seriously until he is severely weakened by Shinobu's poison.
- Immense Strength: Doma has incredible physical strength, mainly due to the amount of Muzan Kibutsuji's blood he assimilated, possibly making him stronger than Akaza because he is one rank higher. Doma can swing his dual fans at subsonic speeds rapidly and incessantly without fail. He can also swing his fans with so much force that it generates gigantic gusts of wind.
- Immense Speed & Reflexes: One of Doma's physical capabilities is his extraordinary movement speed, being able to move immensely faster than the eye can process, making him subsonic or possibly supersonic. This ability has been showcased multiple times during his battle in the Infinity Castle Arc, the first being when Doma killed one of his cult members right in front of Shinobu without her reacting to it until after the woman's body exploded, another being when he was able to evade Kanao's superhuman vision and steal her Nichirin Blade effortlessly which even took her several seconds to process it along with him evading Kanao's Flower Breathing: Fourth Form - Crimson Hanagoromo with no difficulty whatsoever. Another example was when he swiftly stole Inosuke's boar mask without neither him nor Kanao noticing it.
- Limitless Stamina & Endurance: Doma possesses absolute and infinite stamina and vitality, never tiring and always remaining in optimal physical and mental condition all the time as well as being able to endure waves of onslaught as if it were nothing. He showed almost complete immunity to being repeatedly violently attacked by his fellow Upper Rank, Akaza, having his eyes slashed out by Inosuke, being repeatedly poisoned and stabbed by Shinobu, having his stomach slashed open by Kanao and inflicting various forms of extreme self-harm to himself. Doma never once expressed the slightest bit of pain, discomfort and panic at being wounded so grievously, having been able to nonchalantly and calmly continue fighting, talking or doing whatever else he is doing as if nothing is happening.
- Immense Durability: Doma has displayed inredible durability, even when he was severely weakened. Doma's neck couldn't be cut off by Kanao Tsuyuri even when he was severely poisoned and took 70 times the lethal Wisteria Flower dosage required to kill a normal Demon.
- Keen Intellect: Complementing his cold and calculating disposition, Doma is exceptionally intelligent. While fighting at subsonic speeds with Kanao Tsuyuri, he was able to process and deduce her abilities, surmising that it was her superhuman eyesight that allowed her to parry and dodge his ice attacks. After leaving Kanao and Inosuke Hashibira to fight his ice clones, he construed that Inosuke not inhaling his ice powder was because of his extremely acute sense of touch. It is hinted at that Doma was able to trick and deceive all of his followers, allowing him to kill and eat them. He was able to keep this up for over a century with almost complete infallibility. Doma also possesses incredible memory, being able to remember even the most insignificant details from back when he was human, which was over a century ago.
- Tactical Intellect: As a member of the Upper Ranks who has lived for over a century, Doma has been through maybe hundreds of different combat situations and threats, which he always managed to circumvent and overcome. During his battle against Kanao Tsuyuri and Inosuke Hashibira when he could keep up and overwhelm both Hashira-level Demon Slayers simultaneously while not even fighting seriously.
- Immense Regeneration: Doma displayed incredibly powerful regenerative abilities, as seen when Akaza punched off both his lower jaw and his upper head and he swiftly regrew himself with little to no effort, even considering the fatal attack to be a friendly gesture. Even when Doma himself absorbed Shinobu's body and ingested over 37 kilograms worth of poison, approximately seventy times more than the lethal amount needed to kill an average Demon, it still took a considerable amount of time before it began to have any adverse affect on him.
- Biological Absorption: Doma displayed the ability to completely absorb and devour an entire human body without eating them, having completely broken down and incorporated Shinobu's body into his own within only a few seconds after killing her.
- Reactive Adaptation: During his battle against Shinobu, he is able to break down and render all of the various poison mixtures Shinobu injected into him useless, immediately developing antibodies to her poisons without much trouble. His adpative abilities even shocked Shinobu Kocho.
- Enhanced Senses: Like all members of the Twelve Kizuki, Doma possesses senses honed to nigh-superhuman levels. He has displayed multiple times that he is able to detect and perceive attacks even from places he is not looking at, allowing him to fight at a more efficient rate.
- Blood Demon Art (
血 鬼 術Kekkijutsu?):
- Cryokinesis: Complementing Doma's cold-blooded nature, his Blood Demon Art allows him to generate and manipulate ice and frost from his flesh and blood. The ice he creates is in the color of light and deep blue with little purple and white and is freezing cold, being able to nearly freeze Kanao Tsuyuri and Shinobu Kocho in an instant after coming into contact. Doma can generate his ice at any distance, from the edge of his fans or from dozens of meters away. He has displayed multiple times that he can shape ice into various forms and sizes including lotuses, gusts of freezing wind, and even a giant Bodhisattva statue. He can also create special demonic powdered ice which can suck the blood of humans and cause their cells to slowly die. His powdered ice, once inhaled, will cause his opponent's lungs to slowly deteriorate, and eventually negate their ability to breathe and fight.
- Apathy: Doma is completely emotionless, despite the carefree and emotional disposition he wears. Kanao Tsuyuri is the only human to be able to discern his true disposition using her superhuman eyesight, and concluded that Doma merely acts like he shows emotions in hopes that one day he would actually be able to “feel”. Even when he was a child, he was completely void of emotion, like when his parents killed each other, he was neither shocked or petrified, rather oddly, he felt annoyed as their blood made the room stuffy. Although, after his death, he seemed to have developed feelings for Shinobu Kocho, making it the first time he actually shows true emotion.
- Master Dual Fan Combatant: Doma's main form of offense and defense primarily involves him channeling his techniques via his two Gunsen War Fans, using them to both deliver powerful destructive attacks and parry attacks from his opponents. The fans also have the secondary function of scattering Doma's frozen ice powder whenever he waves and moves them to attack or block, spreading it out within his immediate area for his opponents to inhale during battle. Being alive for over a century, his fan martial arts prowess has been improved to a point where he can fight his opponents at subsonic speeds while fully utilizing them for offense and defense.
Doma's techniques involves using his dual Gunsen fans in conjunction with ice and frost for both offensive and defensive purposes.
- Barren Hanging Garden (
枯 園 垂り Karesono Shizuri?) - A series of 8 to 10 successive fan attacks that create gusts of razor-sharp ice shards to slice the enemy into pieces.
- Freezing Clouds (
凍て 曇Itegumori?) - Doma creates a large wave of dangerous freezing wind and uses his fans to scatter them, freezing any object that comes into contact with it.
- Frozen Lotus (
蓮 葉 氷Hasuhagōri?) - Doma creates several ice lotuses with razor-sharp ice shards to increase the range of his attacks and to ensnare his enemies.
- Scattering Lotuses (
散り 蓮 華Chiri Renge?) - Doma creates a blizzard of long-ranged ice shards shaped like lotus petals capable of tearing a person's flesh to shreds.
- Cold White Princesses (
寒 烈の 白 姫Kanretsu no Shirahime?) - Doma creates two female humanoid figures with ice able to blow cold wind, similar to that of Freezing Clouds, towards their intended target. However, unlike Freezing Clouds, it is noted by Kanao Tsuyuri that this technique has a much larger and wider range. Doma noted that the princesses are able to record and save whatever they see, as Doma planned to record both Inosuke and Kanao's techniques in order to create suitable countermeasures against them.
- Wintry Icicles (
冬され 氷柱Fuyusare Tsurara?) - Doma creates multiple ice spears/stakes to impale his target from above. This attack can seemingly materialize out of nowhere.
- Lotus Vines (
蔓 蓮 華Tsuru Renge?) - Doma shapes his ice into several lotuses and creates large frost vines that extend his reach and can capture or slice up his opponents.
- Crystalline Divine Child (
結 晶ノ 御 子Kesshō no Miko?) - Doma creates miniature ice replicas of himself to battle his opponents. He has shown to be capable of creating up to five clones of himself at once, all possessing the same amount of combat prowess as Doma himself and fully capable of using any of his Blood Demon Arts, albeit not to the same caliber as himself. These children are able to record any information it gathers during battle and relay it to Doma, allowing him to better fight his opponents.
- Rime — Water Lily Bodhisattva (
霧 氷・ 睡 蓮 菩 薩Muhyō — Suiren Bosatsu?) - This techniques has been noted to be Doma's strongest Blood Demon Art and his last ditch attempt. He creates a large Bodhisattva ice statue to attack and destroy his targets. Not only can it deal huge amounts of physical damage due to its sheer size and weight, but is extremely durable, being able to withstand multiple attacks from Kanao Tsuyuri and Inosuke Hashibira with little to no damage. Its most notable trait is its ability to generate huge gusts of Doma's deadly ice powder capable of freezing someone to death but also launch a barrage of ice attacks which seem to be a combination of Doma's other techniques.
- Dual Gunsen Fans: Doma harbors two Gunsen War Fans that act as tools for combat and for ordinary use. They are extremely sharp, being able to slice and slash as well as swords, as well as generate huge gusts of wind. His fans are golden color with several patterns resembling flowers engraved on the side complete with a ring with silky hair. They are shown to be extremely durable, withstanding multiple sword slashes and attacks without breaking, which suggests that it might be made out of his flesh and blood, like most other weapons used by demons.
- Doma's name contains the kanji for "child" (
童dō?) and 磨(ma?), which can mean 'polish', 'grind', or 'improve'.
- In the manga's original Japanese, Doma's hair is described to be very light blond/gold in color, "birch-colored" (白橡 shiro tochi?), and this is how it's colored in the colored version of the Final Battle Arc. However, on Shonen Jump 2019 issue 29 and Chapter 162's covers (both of the covers he's on that were personally colored by Koyoharu Gotōge) and in the English translation, his hair is pictured/described as being a silver color.
- Muzan never really liked Doma.
- In Volume 12, it states that Doma used to be the Upper Rank Six over a century ago.
- (To Gyutaro and Daki, before turning them into Demons) "So do you want to become a demon like me... And maybe join the ranks of the Twelve Kizuki?"
- (To Gyutaro and Daki, before turning them into Demons) "Life is precious, you must treasure it."
- (To Akaza) "You're all my important comrades. I don't want to be without any of you."
- (To Kanao Tsuyuri) "You know... I have spoken to many girls, but... This is the first time I've talked to such an unkind girl as you. Why do you say such spiteful things?"
- (To himself) "How sad... that paradise does not exist. It's a fairy tale that humans created with their imagination. The Gods and Buddhas don't exist either. These people had been alive for decades yet they couldn't understand something so simple. When you die, you just become nothing. You just stop feeling anything. Your heart stops and your brain stops. You rot and return to the earth. As long as you are a living creature, it is unavoidable. They could not accept something so simple. It must be difficult to be so dumb. I wanted to make the pitiful people happy and help them. That is why I was born."
- (To Kanao and Inosuke) "The reality is that even those who live upright and good lives meet with misfortune... while the wicked act as they please. They enjoy themselves and live life to the fullest. The idea of divine punishment is a joke. Wicked people going to hell after death? If humans didn't think like that, people with weak spirits couldn't keep going, right? I truly believe... that humans are pathetic."