Hantengu takes on the appearance of a short frail man with a very thin and skeletal body, covered with veins and wrinkles and is usually seen crouching. His most noticeable feature is a large bump on the top of his head, accompanied by two curved horns.
His face is thin with a sharp chin and constantly wears an expression of terror and fear, with a prominent brow ridge that lacks eyebrows. His eyes are narrow and often appear to be squinting, lacking any visible pupils.
He has dark shoulder length wavy hair with a low hairline, only growing out from the back of his head and ears, who themselves are sharper and longer then a normal humans.
His nails are long but not sharp like most other demons and retain their natural square form.
Clothing wise he wears a dark kimono that is split in the middle, the right half being covered in a pattern of flowers and lines with the left half being dark and lacking any detailed features.He also wears dark pants and sandals.
Hantengu's primary form had a persona of cowardice. He was easily frightened by what occurred in his surroundings, showing traits of paranoia, fear and delusion, as, despite the obvious evidence of his numerous crimes as a human, he still believed that he was innocent and didn't do anything wrong. Even as a Demon, killing and eating scores of innocent people, he still stubbornly and delusionally believed that he was innocent. The more threatened he felt, the stronger his other personalities became.
Abilities and Powers
Having held the position of Upper Moon Four, Hantengu can be considered to have been the fifth strongest Demon in the series.
Stealth Master: Hantengu's skill in stealth seems to be his most formidable ability when not divided into his clones as can be seen when he managed to easily infiltrate the blacksmith village of the Demon Slayer Corps, one of their most vital and well fortified bases, without any of the numerous guards noticing. Later on he managed to sneak up on both Muichiro and Tanjiro without them noticing, despite the former being a Hashira and having prodigal skill and talent in battling demons and the latter's superhuman sense of smell.
Blood Demon Art (
- Hantengu (Fear) : Main form of Hantengu which is a diminutive version of the original body and also the body possessing Hantengu's "core." This body has incredible physical fortification and durability, that not even Genya's Sun Steel bullets or sword could penetrate his flesh, despite Genya using his demon enhanced strength to further strengthen his attacks.
- Sekido (Anger) : One of the first emotion clones shown by Hantengu, his main form of offense is his ability to conjure powerful lightning and thunder attacks using a Khakkhara (
錫 杖Shakujō?) staff created from his own cells.  The lightning attacks themselves are powerful enough to nearly kill fellow demons, as seen with Nezuko, and to completely paralyze demon slayers. However a weakness to this is that Sekido cannot electrocute something created from his own cells as seen when he could not channel his lightning through the severed leg of Urogi. When angered and enraged enough Sekido can forcibly absorb and assimilate his fellow emotion clones and form Zohakuten.
- Karaku (Joy) : The second of the emotion clones created by Hantengu. This clone has the power to create a maple leaf like fan using his own cells. He can use it to create powerful gushes of wind capable of easily leveling an entire building and nearly crushing humans and demons respectively to death and leave behind maple leaf like craters. A weakness to this fan is that other people can make use of it once taken from Karaku.
- Aizetsu (Sorrow) : The third emotion clone created by Hantengu. This clone possess the ability to fashion a long spear Yari from his cells, that can then extend and shrink according to Aizetsu's will. He incorporates this ability in close range combat by extending the reach of the spear during mid thrust and slash, allowing him to easily butcher his opponents from a long to mid range combat.
- Urogi (Delight) : The fourth emotion clone created by Hantengu. It that takes the form of a gleeful harpy-like demon with wings and bird talons with power to blast sonic screams from his mouth. This clone is also capable of creating several miniature clones of himself from his severed body parts. The clone is also capable of firing sonic screams, however only possess less than a tenth of their original power allowing even the weakest demon slayer to easily shrug its attacks off.
- Zohakuten (Hatred) : The most powerful emotion clone of Hantengu. It is formed by Sekido after forcibly absorbing all the other clones: Karaku, Aizetsu and Uragi. This clone can conjure and create a five headed wooden dragons to attack his opponents. The wooden Dragon heads themselves are capable of breathing out the attacks and powers of the other emotion clones as seen when the heads breathed the lightning and thunder of Sekido, emit the Sonic Screams of Urogi from both his dragons heads and his main body, Create powerful wind attacks that leave behind gigantic maple leaf craters of Karaku and breath out spear like thrust attacks at its opponents of Aizetsu. Zohakuten has even demonstrated the ability to combine these techniques as seen when he used Sekido's lightning and Urogi Sonic screams in tandem. Also Zou Hakuten has also demonstrated the ability to use own unique Blood Demon Arts.
- Karmic Wood of Avici : Zohakuten unleashes his Wooden Dragons towards his opponents, making them rapidly grow bigger and making their heads multiply as they rush towards his opponent. In Buddhism, Avīci or Avici is the lowest level of the Naraka or "hell" realm.
- Urami (Resentment) : The final emotion body detachment created by Hantengu as a last line of defense, being essentially a larger more physically powerful version of his "core" with its primary purpose is being a living armor used to hide Hantengu's true body inside its heart.
- Muzan sees Hantengu as normal but sometimes he's so annoying it's intolerable.