I know what eternity is. Eternity is human feeling. Only human feelings last forever... and are undying.
Kagaya Ubuyashiki (
Kagaya has light skin and black shoulder length hair. He has a curse mark that is slowly killing him that also makes his skin look as if it was rotting spreading down his face and covering his eyes making him unable to see, by the time of his death this curse had spread all over his body making moving nearly impossible. Muzan at Kagaya's death described him as having the smile of a Buddha.
He usually wears a black kimono with a long white haori with a pink and purple mist like pattern that starts around the lower back/waist.
Kagaya has a calm demeanor; showing genuine care about the members of the Demon Slayers, even considering them as his children. He is also able to handle criticism well, and is honest about his weaknesses; one being his inability to become a Demon Slayer despite being their main leader. In order to make up for this, he remembers every single member of the corps and visits the deceased members at their cemetery on a daily basis until he could no longer move due to the curse.
While he may seem lenient, he gives due consideration to reason; clear of any biases, shown when he willingly accepted the situation of Tanjiro and Nezuko (via a letter from Sakonji Urokodaki) and even defending their cause when there are others who thought otherwise. His manner of speaking, while generally fluid and gentle, is extremely tactful; using words and intonations in a way that the person he talks to would listen. His tactful and charismatic speech is even able to make the likes of the initially passive Muichiro Tokito and the impulsive Sanemi Shinazugawa listen to what he has to say without saying or conveying anything that would rile them up.
Towards his own kin, such as his children, Kagaya is rather strict due to the curse of their family. He nevertheless shows the same gentle aura and demeanor towards them.
Kagaya became the leader of the Demon Slayer Corps when he was only 4 years old. Kagaya first met Amane when he was 13 years old which was when she was 17. She was specifically selected by a priest to become Kagaya's wife in order to care for his medical needs, but he only agreed to the marriage on the condition that she cared for him on her own free will.
Abilities and Powers
- Soothing Voice: Kagaya possesses the ability to put others at ease just by the tone of his voice and rhythm of his actions as done with Tanjiro Kamado and the Hashira.
- Foresight/Intuition: In addition to his special voice, Kagaya (and the rest of the Ubuyashiki family) possess a heightened level of instinct that helps them avoid disastrous situations and amassed them a great amount of wealth and fortune. Due to this instinct, Kagaya accurately made several guesses about multiple things that were eventually proven to be true and accurate without him knowing any prior information, as seen when he accurately predicted that Muzan's only remaining weakness was the sun and that he could not be destroyed by decapitation, that the deaths of Gyutaro and Daki would send waves that would eventually see that the Upper Ranks of the Twelve Kizuki begin losing members for the first time in hundreds of years, and that Muzan will find him and bring about the final war between Demon Slayer Corps and the Twelve Kizuki during his last five days of life.
- Kagaya shares the same Japanese and English voice actors with Seijiro Kikuoka from Sword Art Online.
- As stated by Kagaya, the disease currently ailing him is the curse inflicted on his family due to them birthing the "Original Demon". The sickness itself is a genetic disorder passed down from generation to generation in their family, it has effectively left the Ubuyashiki family with weak bodies and a lifespan of less than 30 years.
- (To Tengen Uzui) "The path you chose is a hard one, Tengen. While denying the sense of values that was implanted into you during the formative years of your youth, you continued to put yourself in the field of battle. And while you carried all those different conflicts and contradictions, you... you all faced forward and fought, despite all that. To protect human lives. Thank you, you are a wonderful child."
- (To Muzan Kibutsuji) "And it's all because... I burn to defeat you, Muzan."
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 139 (Page 1).
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 47 (Page 19).
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 45 (Page 21).
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 46 (Page 5).
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 47 (Page 15).
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 87 (Pages 8-9).
- Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga: Chapter 137 (Page 13).