Life is a series of decisions. You never have unlimited options... or unlimited time to think, but... what you choose in that instant defines who you are...
— Kyojuro Rengoku to himself in his Special One-Shot
Kyojuro Rengoku (
Kyojuro is a young adult of tall stature and athletic build. He has long bright yellow hair with red streaks with two shoulder-length bangs and two chin-length bangs on the side of his head, black forked eyebrows, and golden eyes that fade to red with white pupils.
Kyojuro wears a paler brown version of the regular Demon Slayer uniform, which consists of a brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and hakama pants. Over this, he wears a haori with a white-yellow gradient pattern and red flame-like ridges at the end that his father Shinjuro once worn and more than likely his father worn when they were the Flame Hashira respectively. Finally, he wears red tabi socks with yellow flames erupting from the bottom-up, with a pair of white zōri with red straps.
Kyojuro is greatly enthusiastic in regard to his duties as a Hashira, and often came across as cheerfully eccentric. He is amiable, pure of heart and boasted extraordinary technique and swordsmanship stemming from strict practice and discipline. He is an honorable warrior who adhered to his code of morals and principles that was instilled into him by his mother at a young age—the most significant being his belief that those who were born strong have a duty to protect the weak.
Abilities and Powers
Overall Abilities: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Kyojuro is a very powerful swordsman. Even Demons as strong as Akaza, Upper Rank 3 and the fourth-strongest of the known Demons, acknowledged Kyojuro's strength. He even went as far as to offer to turn Kyojuro into a Demon so he could surpass his human limits and become stronger, something he only offered to swordsmen whose abilities he believed were refined to their utmost. Akaza also complimented his battle spirit and stated that it is getting close to the "domain of supremacy," which meant that he was incredibly close to obtaining the Transparent World (
- Immense Strength: As a Hashira who spent years perfecting his physical prowess, Kyojuro possesses amazing physical strength, being capable of swinging his katana at supersonic speeds without fail and terrifing accuracy while engaging in combat. Kyojuro also possesses a caliber of grip strength that was able to hold down Upper Rank 3, Akaza, one of the physically strongest beings in the series, despite having his Solar Plexus being pierced earlier, to the point that Akaza expressed his disbelief and shock over strength he describes as "unbelievable".
- Immense Speed & Reflexes: Kyojuro possessed great speed that even a trained and gifted Demon Slayer like Tanjiro couldn't perceive or detect, and could even cause tremors to the ground and nearly launching a train off its tracks. Even Akaza has openly expressed his amazement over his phenomenal speed.
- Tactical Intellect: As a swordsman who came from a lineage of Flame Hashira, Kyojuro had access to generations of combat knowledge and tactics as well as training from previous Flame Hashira, like his father, Shinjuro Rengoku. During the battle against Akaza, he displayed keen judgement. After being attacked by Akaza's Destructive Death: Air Type, he realises that he must fight at close range with he wanted to increase the chances of cutting of his head. Even when the usually deductive and sagacious Tanjiro Kamado was at a loss of how to kill Enmu, Kyojuro instinctively knew that, no matter what form a Demon takes, it will always have a weak spot. He also possesses great knowledge in the use of the Total Concentration Breathing (
全 集 中の 呼 吸Zen Shūchū no Kokyū?), knowing how to plug minor wounds and hemorphaging and saved Tanjiro from dying of blood loss.
- Enhanced Senses: Like all skilled Demon Slayers, Kyojuro has incredible senses. He was able to sense Akaza's immense presence and discerns that he was an Upper Rank from it. Kyojuro was also capable of sensing demonic presences faster and more accurately than Tanjiro Kamado, who harbors an enhanced sense of smell. This ability also allows him to precisely gauge the regenerative abilities and weaknesses of most Demons like Enmu.
- Indomitable Will: Kyojuro has an undaunted spirit, which even impressed the likes of Upper Rank 3, Akaza. Ever since he was a child, he has inculcated indomitable will and passion in himself due to his promise to his late mother. This was best displayed during his fight against Akaza. Even when the Upper Rank overwhelmed him with powerful attacks, giving Kyojuro insidious wounds, he remained steadfast resolute. After Kyojuro lost an eye and had internal wounds caused by Akaza, he still persisted, vehemently expressed his unwavering will and determination, saying that he will protect the lives of the other innocent people no matter what. Finally, when Akaza's fist pierced his solar plexus, it triggered a memory in his psyche, reminding Kyojuro of his mother again, giving him the final push to cut the Upper Rank's head, even stopping his fists from moving. But alas, his efforts were in vain, but because of the incredible determination Kyojuro displayed, it affected Tanjiro Kamado greatly, giving the incentive to push on.
- Master Swordsman: As he is a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Kyojuro is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. His mastery of the blade is best showcased during his battle with Akaza, in which he is able to hold his own against the Upper Rank even when gravely injured.
The Flame Breathing combat and breathing style mimics fire and flames, specifically the powerful burn and scorch of fire, and replicates it with the user's movements, techniques and abilities. Most, if not all, known techniques and forms involve extremely powerful singular strikes and movements that are so intense, it 'burns' the opponents. When utilized properly, the user visualizes themselves manipulating and generating fire in a deep shade of orange and red, causing flames to seemingly emanate from their weapon, surroundings or themselves.
- First Form: Unknowing Fire (
壱ノ 型 不知火Ichi no kata: Shiranui?) - Kyojuro charges towards his opponent at high speed and decapitates them in one or multiple slashes that burns the flesh of his enemy. This technique had enough force to launch the entire Infinity Train off the tracks a short distance.
- Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun (
弐ノ 型 昇り 炎 天Ni no kata: Nobori En Ten?) - Kyojuro releases an arching slash attack upwards.
- Third Form: Blazing Universe (
参ノ 型 気 炎 万 丈San no kata: Kien Banjō?) - Kyojuro swings his blade downwards in an arc.
- Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation (
肆ノ 型 盛 炎のうねり Shi no kata: Sei En no Uneri?) - Kyojuro swings his blade in a circular motion that can defend him from all incoming attacks or decapitate multiple enemies at once.
- Fifth Form: Flame Tiger (
伍ノ 型 炎 虎Go no kata: Enko?) - Kyojuro unleashes a powerful series of sword slashes that takes the form of a flaming tiger that charges towards his enemy at blinding speeds.
- Ninth Form: Rengoku (
玖ノ 型 煉 獄Ku no kata: Rengoku?) - The most powerful Flame Breathing technique. A devastating dashing slash that the swordsman initiates from a high stance, the technique had enough power to carve a deep impression that burnt the ground where it was unleashed. Hairo also noted while Kyojuro was using this attack that his sword was able to burn his flesh. In the movie adaptation, this attack takes the form of a titanic flaming dragon with blue eyes that emits blue streaks of electricity from its mouth. After this technique is performed by Kyojuro in the movie, the surroundings were seemingly engulfed in flames, creating a purgatory-like hellscape and a giant whirlwind of heat and fire in the wake of the attack.
- Nichirin Blade: Like the majority of Demon Slayers, Kyojuro harbors a standard Nichirin Blade. His katana is a deep shade of reddish-orange in color with the words Destroyer of Demons (
惡 鬼 滅 殺Akki Messatsu?) engraved on the side. His katana's hilt shaped like a flame with a red core and golden border.
- Kyojuro's surname means "purgatory" (
煉 獄rengoku?). His first name contains the kanji for "apricot" (杏 kyō?), "longetivity" (寿 ju?)", and "son" (郎 rō?).
- Kyojuro's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Kyojuro ranked 7th place in both the first and second popularity poll with 1,021 votes and 8,000 votes respectively.
- Kyojuro loves to watch sumo wrestling.
- Kyojuro's favorite food is sweet potatoes. When eating them, he says "tasty/delicious" (旨い umai?) each time he puts one in his mouth.
- His favorite side dish is salt grilled bream.
- Kyojuro was never allowed to have a pet because his father hated animals.
- Kyojuro's very distant ancestor, as stated by Kyojuro, ate a lot of tempuras causing their descendants' and their own hair to become quite abnormal.
- During his first mission, Kyojuro ruptured his own eardrums to counter the Flute Demon's Blood Demon Art. It is unknown but highly unlikely that this permanently affected his hearing.
- (To the train Demon) "However, if you bare your fangs at innocent people, my bright red flame blade will burn you to the bone!"
- (To himself) "Life is a series of decisions. You never have unlimited options... or unlimited time to think, but... what you choose in that instant defines who you are... Warriors who strive to save other people's lives are precious. Their pure and single-minded dedication is separate from their natural talent. They don't risk their lives to earn praise. They simply feel that they must. What they choose in that moment, is a cry from the depths of their souls. Isn't that right... my friends?"
- (To himself) "I can't believe it! As a Hashira, I'm ashamed of myself! If there's a hole, I want to go into it!"
- (To Senjuro Rengoku) "And, Senjuro, you're different from me! You have a big brother! And he believes in his little brother! Whatever path you walk you'll be a great person! You have a burning passion in your heart! So let's do our best! Let's work hard in life! Even if we're lonely!"
- (To Akaza) "Growing old and dying is what gives meaning and beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It's precisely because we age and die that our lives have value and nobility. Strength is not a word that means much in regard to the flesh."
- (To Akaza) "I will fulfill my duty! I won't allow anyone here to die!"
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "Stand tall and be proud. No matter how weak or unworthy you feel, set your heart ablaze, grit your teeth and move forward. If you just curl up in a ball and hide, time will pass you by. It won't stop for you while you wallow in your grief."