Life is a series of decisions. You never have unlimited options... or unlimited time to think, but... what you choose in that instant defines who you are... Warriors who strive to save other people's lives are precious. Their pure and single-minded dedication is separate from their natural talent. They don't risk their lives to earn praise. They simply feel that they must. What they choose in that moment, is a cry from the depths of their souls. Isn't that right... my friends?
— Kyojuro Rengoku, Special One-Shot
Kyojuro Rengoku (
Kyojuro is a young adult of tall stature and athletic build. He has long bright yellow hair with red streaks with two shoulder-length bangs and two chin-length bangs on the side of his head, black forked eyebrows, and golden eyes that fade to red with white pupils.
Kyojuro wears a paler brown version of the regular Demon Slayer uniform, which consists of a brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and hakama pants. Over this, he wears a haori with a white-yellow gradient pattern and red flame-like ridges at the end that his father Shinjuro once worn and more than likely his father worn when they were the Flame Hashira respectively. Finally, he wears red tabi socks with yellow flames erupting from the bottom-up, with a pair of white zōri with red straps.
Kyojuro is greatly enthusiastic in regard to his duties as a Hashira, and often came across as cheerfully eccentric. He is amiable, pure of heart and boasted extraordinary technique and swordsmanship stemming from strict practice and discipline. He is an honorable warrior who adhered to his code of morals and principles that was instilled into him by his mother at a young age—the most significant being his belief that those who were born strong have a duty to protect the weak.
Abilities and Powers
As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Kyojuro is a very powerful swordsman. Even Demons as strong as Akaza, Upper Rank 3 and the fourth-strongest of the known Demons, acknowledged Kyojuro's strength. He even went as far as to offer to turn Kyojuro into a Demon so he could surpass his human limits and become stronger, something he only offered to swordsmen whose abilities he believed were refined to their utmost. Akaza also complimented his battle spirit and stated that it is getting close to the "domain of supremacy," which meant that he was incredibly close to obtaining the Transparent World (
- Master Swordsman: As he is a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Kyojuro is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. His mastery of the blade is best showcased during his battle with Akaza, in which he is able to hold his own against the Upper Rank even when gravely injured.
- Enhanced Physical Prowess: As a member of the Hashiras, his physique has been increased to superhuman levels through years of harsh training combined with the use of Total Concentration Breathing. The members of the Hashira in general have incredible movement speed, all of them have displayed the capability to use blinding bursts of speed that make it seem like they teleported to even talented swordsman like Tanjiro Kamado. The Hashira also possess incredible physical strength, shown when a severely weakened Kyojuro could hold down a an Upper Rank Demon with his bare hands, Giyu Tomioka and Shinobu Kocho who can leap great distances effortlessly and Gyomei Himejima who can move gigantic boulders with his bare hands. They also possess superhuman stamina and durability, being able to fight for nearly hours with severe injuries.
- Enhanced Strength: Kyojuro possessed great grip strength that is described as "unbelievable" by Akaza, despite the fact he is gravely injured during that time.
- Enhanced Speed: Kyojuro possessed great speed that even a trained Demon Slayer like Tanjiro couldn't see or follow, and could even cause tremors to the ground with it. Akaza is impressed with his speed.
- Enhanced Mental Prowess: As a seasoned swordsman who underwent incredibly harsh and intense training, Kyojuro possesses above average mental capabilities. He could process information and think clearly at supernatural speeds, proven by fighting Upper Rank Demons, who can think at equally or slightly faster speeds. As another testament to his mental capabilities, he has incredible concentration abilities and wits. With an arsenal of techniques at his disposal, Kyojuro has to be really decisive and sagacious when using them, proven when he could hold his own against Akaza.
- Keen Intellect: During the battle against Akaza, he displayed keen judgement. After being attacked by Akaza's Destructive Kill: Air Type, he realises that he must fight at close range with he wanted to increase the chances of cutting of his head. Even when the usually deductive and sagacious Tanjiro Kamado was at a loss of how to kill Enmu, Kyojuro instinctively knew that, no matter what form a Demon takes, it will always have a weak spot. He also possesses great knowledge in the use of Total Concentration Breathing, knowing how to plug minor wounds and saved Tanjiro from dying from blood loss.
- Indomitable Will: Kyojuro has an undaunted spirit, which even impressed the likes of Upper Rank 3, Akaza. Ever since he was a child, he has inculcated indomitable will and passion in himself due to his promise to his late mother. This was best displayed during his fight against Akaza. Even when the Upper Rank overwhelmed him with powerful attacks, giving Kyojuro insidious wounds, he remained steadfast resolute. After Kyojuro lost an eye and had internal wounds caused by Akaza, he still persisted, vehemently expressed his unwavering will and determination, saying that he will protect the lives of the other innocent people no matter what. Finally, when Akaza's fist pierced his guts, it triggered a memory in his psyche, reminding Kyojuro of his mother again, giving him the final push to cut the Upper Rank's head, even stopping his fists from moving. But alas, his efforts were in vain, but because of the incredible determination Kyojuro displayed, it affected Tanjiro Kamado greatly, giving the incentive to push on.
Flame Breathing (
- First Form: Unknowing Fire (
壱ノ 型 不知火Ichi no kata: Shiranui?) - The swordsman charges towards their opponent at high speed and decapitates them in one or multiple slashes that burns the flesh of their enemy. This technique had enough force to launch train carriages off the tracks a short distance.
- Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun (
弐ノ 型 昇り 炎 天Ni no kata: Nobori En Ten?) - The swordsman releases an arching slash attack upwards.
- Third Form: Fiery Spirits (
参ノ 型 気 炎 万 丈San no kata: Kien Banjō?)(Movie Exclusive and Temporary Translation) - The swordsman swings their blade downwards in an arc.
- Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation (
肆ノ 型 盛 炎のうねり Shi no kata: Sei En no Uneri?) - The swordsman swings their blade in a circular motion that can defend them from all incoming attacks or decapitate multiple enemies at once.
- Fifth Form: Flame Tiger (
伍ノ 型 炎 虎Go no kata: Enko?) - The swordsman unleashes a powerful series of sword slashes that takes the form of a flaming tiger that charges towards the enemy at blinding speeds.
- Ninth Form: Rengoku (
玖ノ 型 煉 獄Ku no kata: Rengoku?) - The most powerful Flame Breathing technique. A devastating dashing slash that the swordsman initiates from a high stance, the technique had enough power to carve a deep impression that burnt the ground where it was unleashed. Hairo also noted while Kyojuro was using this attack that his sword was able to burn his flesh. In the movie adaptation, this attack takes the form of a titanic flaming dragon with blue eyes that emits blue streaks of electricity from its mouth. After this technique is performed by Kyojuro in the movie, the surroundings were seemingly engulfed in flames, creating a purgatory-like hellscape and a giant whirlwind of heat and fire in the wake of the attack.
- Kyojuro's surname means "Purgatory" (
- Kyojuro's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Kyojuro ranked 7th place in both the first and second popularity poll with 1,021 votes and 8,000 votes respectively.
- Kyojuro loves to watch sumo wrestling.
- Kyojuro's favorite food is sweet potatoes. When eating them, he says "Delicious!"
- His favorite side dish is salt grilled bream.
- Kyojuro was never allowed to have a pet because his father hated animals.
- Kyojuro's ancestor, as stated by Kyojuro, ate a lot of tempuras causing their descendants' and their own hair to become quite abnormal.
- During his first mission, Kyojuro ruptured his own eardrums to counter the Flute Demon's Blood Demon Art. It is unknown but highly unlikely that this permanently affected his hearing.
- (To the train Demon) "However, if you bare your fangs at innocent people, my bright red flame blade will burn you to the bone!"
- (To himself) "I can't believe it! As a Hashira, I'm ashamed of myself! If there's a hole, I want to go into it!"
- (To Senjuro Rengoku) "And, Senjuro, you're different from me! You have a big brother! And he believes in his little brother! Whatever path you walk you'll be a great person! You have a burning passion in your heart! So let's do our best! Let's work hard in life! Even if we're lonely!"
- (To Akaza) "Growing old and dying is what gives meaning and beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It's precisely because we age and die that our lives have value and nobility. Strength is not a word that means much in regard to the flesh."
- (To Akaza) "I will fulfill my duty! I won't allow anyone here to perish!"
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "Stand tall and be proud. No matter how weak or unworthy you feel keep your heart burning, grit your teeth and move forward. If you just curl up in a ball and hide, time will pass you by. It won't stop for you while you wallow in your grief."