Is it okay for a girl to be this strong? I still worry that someone may ask that, as though I'm not human. In my fear, I was suppressing my strength. But not anymore. Leave this to me. I will protect everyone.
— Mitsuri Kanroji to herself in Get it together, Moron
Mitsuri Kanroji (
Mitsuri is a curvaceous young woman of average height and muscular build with a slightly pale complexion and round, pale green eyes with long eyelashes, a small beauty mark beneath each of them. She has long, light pink hair that fades into a lime green color at the halfway point, which she wears in three thick braids. She has five shorter, choppy clumps hanging over her face as voluminous bangs, the tips lime green as well. When she was trying to get married, her hair was dyed black in an attempt to make herself look more "normal." Mitsuri”s Demon Slayer Mark appears as two hearts with winged shapes under the both of the hearts, Mitsuri’s Mark seems to be on the left side of her neck.
Mitsuri wears a heavily modified pink tinted version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform along with a plain white haori that was gifted to her by Kyojuro Rengoku. The chest area of her uniform is left unbuttoned and she wears a short pleated skirt in place of the usual tattsuke-hakama pants. Additionally, she wears a pair of navy blue thigh-high socks layered with the vertically striped lime-green socks Obanai Iguro gave to her and a pair of white zōri with pink straps.
While at the Swordsmith Village, Mitsuri wore a kimono with floral designs.
During her and the other remaining Hashira's fight against Muzan, Mitsuri's left and back braids are cut off by Muzan Kibutsuji's attacks, now shortened to shoulder length, and part of her left ear is also torn at the side. Mitsuri also loses both of her arms in the process of ripping out Muzan's left arm clean off.
Mitsuri is a very emotional, passionate, and jovial individual who constantly compliments people in her head, likely a contributing factor towards her nickname as "the Hashira of Love." Although she is rather shy and is easily flustered, Mitsuri is always kind to others, most notably towards Obanai, whom she appears to share a strong bond with. However, despite her gentle and seemingly innocent demeanor, Mitsuri will show no mercy in the face of demons, instead expressing such sentiments with a fierce tone. She showcases a great amount of dedication to the Demon Slayers' cause. Despite being put out of commission by Muzan at an early stage in their battle, she was determined enough to return and fight.
Given her desperation for marriage, Mitsuri decided to become a member of the Corps with the purpose of finding a suitable husband stronger than her, a rather difficult task given the astounding level of her physical strength. Upon joining the Corps, she felt an immense amount of guilt for her reasoning behind becoming a Demon Slayer to the point where she ate much less than her typical meals. However, she was able to move past those feelings with the help of Shinobu Kocho and Obanai Iguro.
Besides her rather emotional personality, Mitsuri can also come off as somewhat childlike at times. When she is asked to explain the process of obtaining the Demon Slayer Mark, she describes it using noises and sounds. She is a very caring person, always showing others her love as befits her Hashira title. She can get rather excitable, grabbing her friends for a big group hug after the battle against Gyokko and Hantengu.
When she is slashed by Muzan and taken out of the battle by Obanai, she says she wants to be of use and not drag everyone else down. She even begs for Obanai to come back and not get himself killed. This alludes to her love for him, the person she can finally feel for and be loved by. She shares Obanai's hope that they could reincarnate, meet each other and get married in another life.
Overall Abilities: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Mitsuri is a very powerful and skilled combatant. She is said to have completed the Final Selection within a mere six months of training, which Kyojuro Rengoku considers outstanding. Her abilities were put on display during the Swordsmith Village Arc where she quickly subdued and defeated a group of demons created by Upper Rank Five, Gyokko, and later played a big part in the fight against Upper Rank Four, Hantengu, specifically against his clone, "Zohakuten", which possesses the combined strength of four Upper Rank demons. With the help of her Demon Slayer Mark, Mitsuri was able to fend off the incredibly powerful Upper Rank until sunrise. During the Infinity Castle Arc, Mitsuri held her own against the newly appointed Upper Rank Four, Nakime. Afterwards, she managed to land a surprise technique on the Demon King himself, Muzan Kibutsuji, and played her part in the fight to stall for sunrise.
Abnormal Muscular Constitution: Mitsuri has a special muscular composition, making her muscles eight times denser than that of a regular human. While her limbs are thin, they possess unbelievable strength and endurance capable of maintaining her body's structure after a point-blank sound attack from Zohakuten. To maintain the composition of her body, Mitsuri eats as much as three sumo wrestlers.
Demon Slayer Mark: During her battle against Upper Rank Four, Hantengu's clone, Zohakuten (
Enhanced Flexibility: Mitsuri has been noted to possess an extremely flexible body, allowing her to achieve a wide range of motion. She has incorporated her innate flexibility into her Love Breathing techniques, successfully using it to outpace and counterattack Zohakuten's techniques without much trouble. Mitsuri's superhuman flexibility is also displayed in the form of her whip-like Nichirin Sword which is also incredibly flexible. However, only she can make use of the sword due to her pliability preventing her from getting cut while performing high speed actions that make use of incredible ranges of motion.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: As a Hashira, Mitsuri is an extremely fast individual. Despite this, she is the slowest runner out of all her Hashira brethren. However, her techniques have been noted to be faster than the Sound Hashira, Tengen Uzui, who, in stark contrast to her, is the fastest runner out of the nine Hashira. Mitsuri first showcased her exceptional speed when she cut up and killed the spawns created by Upper Rank Five, Gyokko, before they could even react, saving numerous swordsmiths in the process. Her superhuman speed and reflexes were best displayed during her battle against Zohakuten, where she dodged lightning and sound waves produced by the Upper Rank's Blood Demon Art and proceeded to slice through them without much trouble. Later, she reacted to a point-blank sound wave produced by Zohakuten, tensing her body before the attack landed.
Immense Strength: With the help of her abnormal muscular constitution, Mitsuri possesses a level of physical strength superior to average humans, and even matching that of Giyu, Kyojuro, and Sanemi. When she was 13 months old, Mitsuri possessed enough arm strength to lift a rock weighing 15 kg (33 lbs). Her superhuman strength was also displayed during the battle against Muzan, where Mitsuri was able to grab hold of Muzan's arm whip and rip it off with her bare hands, which shocked the Demon King.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: In her battle against Hantengu, despite sustaining several injuries, she still lasted the longest out of Tanjiro, Nezuko and Genya, and stalled them long enough for them to win. Later on during the battle against Muzan, Mitsuri still had enough energy reserves to tear off the elongated arm of the Demon King despite suffering from numerous injuries all over her body and being fatigued.
Master Swordswoman: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Mitsuri is one of the most powerful and skilled swordswoman in the entire organization. Mitsuri makes use of a special swordsmanship style based around her thin and flexible Nichirin Sword akin to a whip sword. Her swordsmanship skill allowed her to quickly subdue the creatures spawned by Upper Rank Five, Gyokko, slicing the demons up at speeds faster than they can react with great accuracy. Mitsuri best displayed her unique swordsmanship style and sword wielding skill during her battle with Zohakuten. Her swordsmanship was so precise that Mitsuri could cut through lightning and sound waves produced by the Upper Rank, and managed to counter and destroy all of his techniques.
Love Breathing (
- First Form: Shivers of First Love (
壱ノ 型 初 恋のわななき Ichi no kata: Hatsukoi no Wananaki?) - The user dashes forward with a series of extended whip slashes that winds around and through the target.
- Second Form: Love Pangs (
弐ノ 型 懊 悩 巡る 恋Ni no kata: Ōnō Meguru Koi?) - The user unleashes multiple powerful whip slashes around themselves.
- Third Form: Catlove Shower (
参ノ 型 恋 猫しぐれ San no kata: Koi Neko Shigure?) - The user leaps and unleashes a series of ranged arced attacks in quick succession.
- Fifth Form: Swaying Love, Wildclaw (
伍ノ 型 揺らめく 恋 情・ 乱れ 爪Go no kata: Yurameku Renjō Midarezume?) - The user somersaults backwards through the air creating a long whip-like string of attacks.
- Sixth Form: Cat-Legged Winds of Love (
陸ノ 型 猫 足 恋 風Roku no kata: Neko Ashi Koi Kaze?) - The user twirls upside-down and creates multiple extending slashing attacks before retracting it and extending it again, all within a very short amount of time.
Flame Breathing (
Whip Nichirin Katana: Unlike most Demon Slayers who use standard katanas, Mitsuri wields an extremely thin, flexible, and long katana akin to a whip. It was implied to made by Tecchin Tecchikawahara, possibly due to its bizarre shape which requires immense expertise to craft. Due to her sword's structure, only Mitsuri can use it without cutting herself in the process, which can be attributed to her superhuman flexibility. Using this katana, Mitsuri can use techniques faster than that of the Sound Hashira, Tengen Uzui, which can keep up with the attacks of Zohakuten. Her whip katana is pink in color and her hilt is shaped like a 4 leaf clover; the leaves have a pink core with a golden border, with the words Destroyer of Demons (
- Mitsuri's surname contains the kanji for "sweet, sugary" (甘 kan?), "dew" (露 ro?), and "Buddhist temple" (寺 ji?). Her first name contains "nectar" (蜜 mitsu?) and "glassy" (璃 ri?).
- Mitsuri ranked 12th place in both the first and second character popularity poll with 280 votes and 3714 votes respectively.
- Mitsuri's hair color is said to be the way it is because of her eating too much sakura mochi. This is in fact possible in real life due to pigmentation from excess specific food consumption.
- Her striped socks were a gift from Obanai, as she was initially very embarrassed wearing her uniform.
- Mitsuri's mentor was Kyojuro. She derived her Love Breathing from his Flame Breathing.
- It is revealed in an omake that her current uniform is made by a Kakushi member; who also initially gave the same design to Shinobu, Kanao, and Aoi. Although unlike the others who burned their uniforms, Mitsuri opted to keep wearing it, as she couldn't manage to burn her uniform as well.
- Mitsuri makes a cameo appearance alongside Obanai Iguro in chapter 137 of Tonikaku Kawaii.
- Mitsuri enjoys eating western and western-inspired food, such as pancakes and omurice.
- Because of how much she eats, her food expenses are ridiculously high.
- Mitsuri and Shinobu get along quite well due to them having been the only two female Hashira after Kanae's death. She also teaches Shinobu western cooking.
- Mitsuri owns a rabbit.
- Mitsuri also raises bees for honey.
- A few of Mitsuri's attacks are named after cats, due to the fact that she used to own a cat as a child. She and Gyomei Himejima enjoy talking about cats together.
- When putting her sword back into its sheath, she folds it multiple times and twirls it around due to its structure.
- Mitsuri's weapon resembles and may be based off of a South Indian weapon known as the urumi due to its flexible, whip-like form.
- Mitsuri can eat 100 sticks of dango.
- In chapter 101 of the manga, Mitsuri states that there are 5 kids in her family, and they all get along with each other.
- Mitsuri shares both her Japanese and English voice actresses with Kogyoku Ren from Magi and Risa from Phantasy Star Online 2.
- Mitsuri viewed the other Hashira as follows:
- "She's super cute! Although I'm the older one, Shinobu-chan is more composed. I want to play together with her as fellow girls but there's never any time~." - Insect Hashira
- "His adult-like sex appeal is wonderful! There are times where he speaks and behaves sort of like a 10 year old child though, but it's funny!" - Sound Hashira
- "He's a very kind person! The letters he writes are wonderful and he compliments me a lot! In addition, he always waits for me with a friendly smile when I'm slowly eating." - Serpent Hashira
- "He's a cute cat lover! But the fact that he's the strongest demon slayer in the squad is wonderful!" - Stone Hashira
- "He's quiet, timid, and adorable." - Water Hashira
- "A cool older brother! It was fun training together with him! He took such good care of me!" - Flame Hashira
- "To think that he's a Hashira despite being so young is amazing! And his sophisticated self is lovely!" - Mist Hashira
- "He's scary, but that's the charm of it! He gets angry quite often." - Wind Hashira
- Mitsuri's level of openness was ranked at 90%.
- Mitsuri loved Obanai long before her confession after the battle against Muzan. She was not able to confess though, as her trauma from her past marriage interviews held her back.
- She would sometimes ask Shinobu for love advice, but due to both of them being oblivious to love, their exchanges mostly became weird. Mitsuri likened Shinobu's love advice to a research thesis, since it mostly focuses on brain response, heart rate, blood pressure, etc.
- After joining the Demon Slayer Corps, she was mostly happy. Enjoying her time being praised and being with her senior or junior colleagues. However, as her colleagues died one after another, she sometimes couldn't help but tremble in anger and sadness.
- Mitsuri has the biggest appetite out of all the Hashira.
- Mitsuri is the only known female slayer that unlocked The Demon Slayer Mark.
- (To herself) "In the Demon Slayer Corps, everyone valued me. The people I saved from demons thanked me with tears in their eyes[...] Is it okay for a girl to be this strong? I still worry that someone may ask that, as though I'm not human. In my fear, I was suppressing my strength. But not anymore. Leave this to me. I will protect everyone."
- (To Tanjiro Kamado, Nezuko Kamado and Genya Shinazugawa then Zohakuten) "Thanks, you guys! I may be a Hashira, but I messed up! Sorry! I will not let my comrades die! The Demon Slayer Corps is an important place for me! You may be an Upper Rank or whatever, but that doesn't matter! I'm not gonna let one of those jerks beat me! Get ready, cuz I'm about to get serious!"
- (To herself) "I remember now! I was searching for a worthy man... But I was also searching for a place to be myself! I must be flexible... and lithe. I must be more like myself. What should I do, Rengoku? At a time like this, I... I can't stop... my heart from pounding!"