Remember that boiling anger. [...] Even if I lose my memories, my body will remember that anger that will not leave me until I die. It's why I trained so hard that I vomited blood to destroy demons. And more... to eradicate them!
Muichiro Tokito (
Muichiro is a short, muscular young man of light complexion with long, straight hair of a black color that fades to mint green as it approaches his waist. He wears his hair loose with two clumps protruding slightly from each side of his head, a set of marginally shorter hair left down to frame his face, and unruly bangs over his forehead. He also possesses large, empty-looking mint-green eyes. His eyes and hair are traits shared with his twin brother, Yuichiro Tokito.
Muichiro wears a dark, slightly turquoise-tinted version of the Demon Slayer uniform. His uniform has longer, looser sleeves that are more reminiscent of those of a kimono than of the standard cuffed uniform. Along with this, the lack of bands of cloth wrapped around his calves gives his uniform an overall loose and sizable appearance. Finally, he wears dark blue tabi socks and a pair of white zōri with dark blue straps.
Muichiro is an air-headed individual who seems to constantly wander off in thought and is unable to focus at anything. Impassive and, at times, obtuse, he tends to think only for himself and operates on logic alone, never letting emotion guide him, making him seem completely apathetic and indifferent. But, Tanjiro sensed that Muichiro wasn't being so apathetic on purpose as he didn't emanate any animosity. Despite his uncaring and unserious demeanor, he has been shown to get serious when it is required and is devoted to his position as the Demon Slayer Corps' Mist Hashira. Alternatively he seems to display a cold and arrogant side; violently shaking down Kotetsu and calling him stupid, saying his time as a Hashira was super important, much more important than his own, and that all the swordsmiths could do was make weapons. Though, Muichiro doesn't seem to be indifferent towards Kagaya Ubuyashiki, most likely due to his immense respect for his master.
However, before the death of his twin brother when the siblings were eleven, Muichiro's personality was that of a much more compassionate and optimistic individual, the polar opposite of his current disposition. Having originally taken after his father, he was shown to display a higher level of kindness and understanding, believing he should aim to do good for others if he wanted good to be done for him. After his brother was killed at the hands of a demon, Muichiro subsequently lost his memories and held an omnipresent rage deeply suppressed inside of him that inevitably drove his future, intense training. After this memory loss, he started exhibiting the indifferent attitude of his twin brother he is now known for as a Hashira.
During his interactions with Tanjiro Kamado, Muichiro started regaining his memories of his past, causing him to behave more maturely and seriously, even choosing to help Kotetsu when his life was in danger instead of ignoring him. After his memories fully returned, Muichiro began expressing more emotions and became more confident in himself and started caring more for his peers in the Demon Slayer Corps. Muichiro also started exhibiting emotions common for someone his age, particularly childishness and immaturity when interacting with his other Demon Slayers. He also appears to be evidently biased towards Tanjiro Kamado after the events of the Swordsmith Village Arc. However, he was shown to be more aware of himself and those around him, evident when he realised that Obanai Iguro had a crush on Mitsuri Kanroji, which surprised Gyomei Himejima. His kindness also aided him in building friendships among the Demon Slayers and making happy memories like the ones back when he lived with his family.
Overall Abilities: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps and a child prodigy, Muichiro is a very powerful and skilled combatant. He is noted to be incredibly talented despite his young age, accomplishing his Hashira status after a mere two months of training, something only accomplished by Gyomei Himejima, the strongest current-generation Hashira. He could easily overpower Demon Slayers older than him, like Tanjiro Kamado and Genya Shinazugawa. After awakening his Demon Slayer Mark, Muichiro is able to single-handedly defeat Gyokko, Upper Rank Five, with relative ease even after the Upper Rank assumed his true form.
His techniques were also praised by Kokushibo, Upper Rank One, for being well developed for one so young. However, later on in the fight, his contributions proved to be crucial in Upper Rank One's defeat: After unlocking the Transparent World and the ability to dye his Nichirin Sword a bright red color as well as the willingness to sacrifice his own life, Muichiro is able to land a critical blow on Upper Rank One, which played a pivotal role in his defeat.
Demon Slayer Mark: Muichiro's mark is first awakened during his battle against Upper Rank Five, Gyokko, after his temperature reached 39 degrees Celsius (102.2° Fahrenheit) and his heart rate went beyond 200 bpm. The mark appears as several red, mist-like designs that cover the entirety of his body, most noticeably on his face and arms. While the mark is active, his offensive and defensive abilities are increased by several times their usual strength, the power increase being enough to grant him the strength to not only operate a severely poisoned body but additionally kill an Upper Rank singlehandedly. However, once the mark vanishes, he immediately begins suffering from the effects of the poison, showing that the mark is only effective for as long as it is manifested.
- Bright Red Nichirin Sword: During his battle against Upper Rank One, Muichiro dyed his Nichirin Sword a bright red color by gripping it with all his might, allowing him to hamper the regeneration of Kokushibo, which later proved to play a pivotal role in his defeat.
- Transparent World: Similar to Tanjiro, Muichiro obtained the ability to see the Transparent World sometime during the midst of battle against Kokushibo, which allowed him to see the muscles, blood flow, and joint movement of his opponents, aiding him in landing a hit on the Upper Rank and keeping him in place, creating an opportunity for his allies to kill him.
Extrasensory Perception: Muichiro has extremely honed senses able to pick up things outside the normal range of perception, such as discerning the aura of a demon's from a human's.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: As a Hashira, Muichiro is tremendously fast, displaying the ability to blitz demons and move in bursts of speeds akin to teleporting. His speed could also easily out-speed the reflexes of Tanjiro Kamado, who was able to keep up with the movements Upper Rank demons. Muichiro's superhuman speed and reflexes were further exemplified during his battle with Upper Rank Five, Gyokko, as shown when he could deflect and evade a thousand needles and later sliced up an absurd 10,000 slime-fish in a split second, even sending all of them flying before their blood could touch him. He was also able to keep up with Gyokko himself, who could teleport, and later managed to decapitate him faster than the Upper Rank could react. Muichiro also displayed incredible control over his own movement speed with his Obscuring Clouds technique which requires him to switch between extremely slow movements and blinding bursts of speeds faster than the eye can see.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Muichiro possesses superhuman stamina and endurance, which he displayed on multiple occasions. When Muichiro was poisoned, he barely flinched and was completely nonchalant, still possessing enough strength to keep up with Gyokko. However, his phenomenal pain tolerance was best exemplified in his fight against Kokushibo. When his arm got cut off, he stopped the bleeding and immediately continued his attack against the demon swordsman, and when he was stabbed in his shoulder by a sword, Muichiro barely showed any signs of pain. Later on, he had his leg sliced off while stabbing Kokushibo and still managed to deal significant damage to him. Most amazingly of all, despite having his entire torso being sliced off, leaving only his upper body left, he still held onto his katana and turned it bright red almost nonchalantly.
Immense Strength: Despite his build appearing to be one of the smallest and seemingly weakest of the Demon Slayers and Hashira, Muichiro has shown to possess a caliber of physical strength heads and shoulders above that of the average Demon Slayer. This is evident when Tanjiro tried to grab his arm to stop him from attacking Kotetsu, the Hashira's arm didn't even budge despite Tanjiro gripping it with all his might. He later was able to cause Tanjiro to spit up saliva by hitting his stomach with his elbow, as well as knocking Tanjiro unconscious with a single chop to his neck, all without much effort. With a sword, he could break the armor of Yoriichi Type Zero and later effortlessly slice through Gyokko's neck, which the Upper Rank himself described to be tougher than diamond.
Omnipresent Rage: Muichiro attributes the origin of his willpower towards training and his strength towards the awakened rage that is always present and boiling within him, both appearing after his brother's death. This unquenchable rage is the source for his indomitable willpower and undaunted spirit, shown when he continued to fight despite having beyond fatal injuries, such as having his arm, both his legs and later his entire torso sliced. Despite all these injuries and hopeless situations, he remained steadfast which ultimately led to the defeat of Upper Rank One, Kokushibo.
Master Swordsman: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. Despite being so young, Muichiro's swordsmanship impressed even the likes of Upper Rank One, Kokushibo, the strongest swordsman of the current era who has lived for nearly 30 times longer than he has. Muichiro could also keep up and even overpower Yoriichi Type Zero, a swordsman doll with six arms which was modeled after Yoriichi Tsugikuni, the strongest swordsman in history. His swordsmanship skill goes so far as to enable him to cut up 10,000 high-speed targets of relatively small size in an instant and deflect a barrage of a thousand sharp poisonous needles with his sword.
Mist Breathing (
- First Form: Low Clouds, Distant Haze (
壱ノ 型 垂 天 遠 霞Ichi no kata: Suiten Tōgasumi?) - The user unleashes a powerful thrust attack in front of them.
- Second Form: Eight-Layered Mist (
弐ノ 型 八 重 霞Ni no kata: Yaekasumi?) - The user unleashes eight forward slashes with each one on top of the other in extremely quick succession.
- Third Form: Scattering Mist Splash (
参ノ 型 霞 散の 飛 沫San no kata: Kasan no Shibuki?) - The user releases a powerful circular slash in front of them that can be used to blow away projectiles.
- Fourth Form: Shifting Flow Slash (
肆ノ 型 移 流 斬り Shi no kata: Iryūgiri?) - The user quickly unsheathes their sword and dashes towards their enemy at blinding speeds and delivers a quick slash from beneath them. This technique is extremely reminiscent of Iaijutsu.
- Fifth Form: Sea of Clouds and Haze (
伍ノ 型 霞 雲の 海Go no kata: Kaun no Umi?) - The user dashes forward at high speed and unleashes a flurry of slashes that cover a wide area while obscuring their movements.
- Sixth Form: Lunar Dispersing Mist (
陸ノ 型 月の 霞 消Roku no kata: Tsuki no Kashō?) - The user backflips into the air while upside down and delivers countless ranged slashes downwards, capable of decimating dozens of targets at once.
- Seventh Form: Obscuring Clouds (
漆ノ 型 朧Shichi no kata: Oboro?) - The personal creation of Muichiro Tokito. A technique in which the user drastically changes the tempo of their movement to disorient their enemy, which seemingly takes the form of clouds of mist enveloping a wide area. When the user shows themselves, their speed will appear to be extremely slow but when they hide, the user moves in the blink of an eye.
Standard Nichirin Katana: As a Demon Slayer, Muichiro carries around a standard sized and shaped Nichirin katana that is white in color but is able to be dyed bright red with the help of his Demon Slayer Mark. As a Hashira, Muichiro's katana has the words Destroy Demons (
- Muichiro's surname contains the kanji for "time" (時 toki?) and "transparent, permeate" (透 tō?). His first name contains "nothingness" (無 mu?), "one" (一 ichi?) and "son" (郎 rō?).
- Muichiro's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Muichiro ranked 29th place in the first popularity poll with 55 votes.
- Muichiro ranked 3rd place in the second popularity poll with 11,948 votes.
- According to Tengen Uzui, Muichiro is one of two people who became a Hashira only two months after picking up a sword, the other being Gyomei Himejima.
- Even before he entered the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro could sleep soundly no matter if there was a tempest or a thunderstorm, and he never lost his appetite.
- Muichiro wears loose and oversized clothes in order to disorient enemies, as they would not be able to see his limbs and joints moving so well. This is supposed to hinder their ability to predict Muichiro's movements.
- Muichiro can't have pets because his crow would get jealous.
- He is the only known Hashira in the series to both overpower and kill an Upper Rank Twelve Kizuki single-handedly.
- Muichiro viewed the other Hashira as follows:
- "She looks like a swallow bird. She has a gentle smile." - Insect Hashira
- "He's like a monkey. Once in a while, he crumples my head." - Sound Hashira
- "He's like a wildcat. He's a quiet person. He has beautiful eyes as well. I was surprised at first given that his left and right eye color is different." - Serpent Hashira
- "He's like a bear. He's the strongest person." - Stone Hashira
- "He's like a decorative object." - Water Hashira
- "He's like an owl. He's a lively person with a pleasant voice." - Flame Hashira
- "She's like a pink-colored chick going cheep cheep. Her hair is beautiful." - Love Hashira
- "He's like a wolf." - Wind Hashira
- Muichiro's level of openness was ranked as 40%.
- Muichiro is one of only four Hashira who use a standard Nichirin Sword. The other three are Kyojuro Rengoku, Giyu Tomioka, and Sanemi Shinazugawa.
- (To Kotetsu) "Have you been trained to withstand torture? Even most adults can't endure it, so it's impossible that you could. You appear to be an exceedingly dumb brat. So what if it does break? Why not make it again? While you're rattling on and on and on and on with your nonsense, do you know how many people will die? That's what it means to interfere with a Hashira. Your time and a Hashira's time have completely different value. If you used your head just a little, you would understand. [...] So come on, the key! Know your place in life and act accordingly. Because you aren't a baby."
- (To himself) "Just like master said, if you recover your confidence... you can dig in with both feet and use your full strength. If you know who you are then no demon can run when you bring down a blade that knows no hesitation or confusion."
- (To himself) "Remember that boiling anger. [...] Even if I lose my memories, my body will remember that anger that will not leave me until I die. It's why I trained so hard that I vomited blood to destroy demons. And more... to eradicate them!"
- (To Yuichiro Tokito) "As for the reason I was born, I know that full well. I was born to be happy. [...] I was happy when we lived as a family. When I was alone, there were many hard and painful things, but then... I made friends and there were good times, so I was able to smile again. There were countless moments where I thought I was happy. Was that not enough? I didn't turn my eyes away or run from anything. I don't regret risking my life for my comrades."