Why was I born? I already know the answer to that. I was born to be happy... I was happy when the four of us were living together as a family. And ever since I was left alone, I've had my share of painful and sad moments. But I made friends. I had fun, and I could smile again. I had so many times where I was happy that I can't count them all. Is that so bad? I didn't run away from anything, and I didn't turn my eyes away either. I put my life on the line for my friends, and I have no regrets about it.
Muichiro Tokito (
Muichiro is a short, young man of light complexion with long, straight hair of a black color that fades to pale turquoise as it approaches his waist. He wears his hair loose with two clumps protruding slightly from each side of his head, a set of marginally shorter hair left down to frame his face, and unruly bangs over his forehead. He also possesses large, empty-looking mint-green eyes. His eyes and hair are traits shared with his twin brother, Yuichiro Tokito.
Muichiro wears a dark, slightly turquoise-tinted version of the Demon Slayer uniform. His uniform has longer, looser sleeves that are more reminiscent of those of a kimono than of the standard cuffed uniform. Along with this, the lack of bands of cloth wrapped around his calves gives his uniform an overall loose and sizable appearance. Finally, he wears dark blue tabi socks and a pair of white zōri with dark blue straps.
Muichiro is an air-headed individual who seems to constantly wander off in thought and never focus on one thing. Impassive and, at times, obtuse, he tends to think only for himself and operates on logic alone, never letting emotion guide him. Despite this, he has been shown to get serious when it is required and is devoted to his position as the Demon Slayer Corps' Mist Hashira. Alternatively he seems to display a cold and arrogant side; violently shaking down Kotetsu and calling him stupid, saying his time as a Hashira was super important, and that 'all' the sword smiths could do was make weapons.
However, before the death of his twin brother when the siblings were eleven, Muichiro's personality was that of a much more caring individual. Having originally taken after his father, he was shown to display a higher level of kindness and understanding than his demeanor as a Demon Slayer, believing he should aim to do good for others if he wanted good to be done for him. After his brother was killed at the hands of a Demon, Muichiro subsequently lost his memories and held an omnipresent rage deeply suppressed inside of him that inevitably drove his future, intense training. After this memory loss, he started exhibiting the indifferent attitude he wears as a Hashira.
After his memories returned, Muichiro began expressing more emotions and became more confident in himself, aiding him in building friendships among the Demon Slayers. He also learned other expressions, such as sarcasm and smugness towards Upper Rank 5, Gyokko.
Abilities and Powers
As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is a very powerful swordsman. He is noted to be incredibly talented despite his young age, accomplishing his Hashira status after a mere two months of training. After awakening his Demon Slayer Mark, Muichiro is able to defeat Gyokko, Upper Rank 5, with relative ease even after the Upper Rank assumed his true form. His techniques were also praised by Kokushibo, Upper Rank 1, for being well developed for one so young. Despite this, Muichiro is still severely outmatched in his encounter with him, having his arm cut off after Kokushibo drew his blade for the first time. However, later on in the fight, his contributions proved to be crucial in Upper Rank One's defeat: After unlocking the Transparent World and the ability to dye his Nichirin Blade a crimson red color as well as the willingness to sacrifice his own life, Muichiro is able to land a critical blow on Upper Rank 1.
- Master Swordsman: Being a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. Muichiro's sword techniques impressed even Upper Rank 1. As the Mist Hashira, Muichiro utilizes a mist-based combat style.
- Enhanced Physical Prowess: As a member of the Hashira, Muichiro's physique has been increased to superhuman levels through years of harsh training combined with the use of the Total Concentration: Constant (
全 集 中・ 常 中Zen Shūchū Jōchū?). The members of the Hashira in general have incredible movement speed, all of them have displayed the capability to use blinding bursts of speed that make it seem like they teleported to even talented swordsman like Tanjiro Kamado. The Hashira also possess incredible physical strength, shown when a severely weakened Kyojuro Rengoku could hold down a an Upper Rank Demon with his bare hands, Giyu Tomioka and Shinobu Kocho who can leap great distances effortlessly and Gyomei Himejima who can move gigantic boulders with his bare hands. They also possess superhuman stamina and durability, being able to fight for nearly hours with severe injuries.
- Enhanced Strength: Despite his build appearing to be the smallest and seemingly weakest of the Demon Slayers and Hashira, Muichiro has been shown to be stronger than Tanjiro Kamado by a wide margin. He is able to knock him out with a blow to the neck and did not budge when Tanjiro held and gripped his arm with all of his strength, despite Tanjiro being strong enough to break Genya Shinazugawa's arm even before he began training as a Demon Slayer.
- Enhanced Speed and Reflexes: In his fight against Gyokko, he has displayed multiple times that he could react and dodge to the Upper Rank's blinding bursts of speed. Despite being unable to keep up with the speeds of Upper Rank 1, Kokushibo, Muichiro could dodge a barrage of his crescent moon blades.
- Immense Pain Resistance: Despite being sliced in half, Muichiro was able to hold on to his katana and even turning his blade red, a feat which surprised even Kokushibo. In another situation, when he had his arm sliced off, he unhesitantly proceeded to stop the bleeding and continued to fight as if nothing happened.
- Enhanced Mental Prowess: As a seasoned swordsman who underwent incredibly harsh and intense training, Muichiro possesses above average mental capabilities. He could process information and think clearly at supernatural speeds, proven by fighting Upper Rank Demons, who can think at equally or slightly faster speeds. As another testament to his mental capabilities, he has incredible concentration abilities and wits. With an arsenal of techniques at his disposal, Muichiro has to be really decisive and sagacious when using them, proven when he could hold his own against Gyokko and Kokushibo.
- Omnipresent Rage: Muichiro attributes the origin of his willpower towards training and his strength towards the awakened rage within him, both appearing after his brother's death.
- Demon Slayer Mark: Muichiro's mark is first awakened during his battle against Upper Rank 5, Gyokko. The mark appears as several red, mist-like designs that cover the entirety of his body, most noticeably on his face and arms. While the mark is active, his offensive and defensive abilities are increased by several times their usual strength, the power increase being enough to grant him the strength to not only operate a severely poisoned body but additionally kill an Upper Rank effortlessly. However, once the mark vanishes, he immediately begins suffering from the effects of the poison, showing that the mark is only effective for as long as it is manifested.
- Crimson Red Nichirin Blade: During his battle against Upper Rank 1, Muichiro gained the ability to dye his Nichirin Blade a crimson red color, giving it the ability to hamper the enhanced regeneration of Demons.
- Transparent World (
透き 通る 世 界Sukitōru Sekai?): Similar to Tanjiro, Muichiro obtained the ability to see the "transparent world," which granted him superhuman kinetic vision similar to Kanao Tsuyuri. The ability enabled him to see the muscles, blood flow, and joint movement of his opponents, which allowed him to accurately predict and anticipate the movements and attacks of his opponents.
Mist Breathing (
- First Form: Low Clouds, Distant Haze (
壱ノ 型 垂 天 遠 霞Ichi no kata: Suiten Tōgasumi?) - Muichiro unleashes a powerful thrust attack in front of him.
- Second Form: Eight-Layered Mist (
弐ノ 型 八 重 霞Ni no kata: Yaekasumi?)- Muichiro unleashes eight slashes, one on top of the other in quick succession.
- Third Form: Scattering Mist Splash (
参ノ 型 霞 散の 飛 沫San no kata: Kasan no Shibuki?) - Muichiro releases a powerful circular slash that blows away projectile attacks.
- Fourth Form: Shifting Flow Slash (
肆ノ 型 移 流 斬り Shi no kata: Iryūgiri?) - Muichiro quickly unsheathes his blade and strikes his enemy, reminiscent of an Iaidō technique.
- Fifth Form: Sea of Clouds and Haze (
伍ノ 型 霞 雲の 海Go no kata: Kaun no Umi?) - Muichiro dashes forward at high speed and unleashes a flurry of slashes that covers a wide area.
- Sixth Form: Lunar Dispersing Mist (
陸ノ 型 月の 霞 消Roku no kata: Tsuki no Kashō?) - Muichiro leaps high in the air upside down and sends a series of countless ranged slashes downwards, capable of decimating a wide area.
- Seventh Form: Obscuring Clouds (
漆ノ 型 朧Shichi no kata: Oboro?) - Possibly the Mist Breathing's most powerful technique and the personal creation of Muichiro Tokito. A technique in which Muichiro drastically changes the tempo of his movement to disorient an enemy, this technique takes the form of clouds of mist enveloping a wide area. When he shows himself, his speed will appear to be extremely slow but when he hides, he moves in the blink of an eye. This technique was able to utterly confuse and distort the senses of Upper Rank 5, Gyokko, which led to his defeat.
- The first kanji of Muichiro's first name, "nothingness" (無 mu?), is noted to also be used to write the word "infinity" (無限 mugen?).
- Muichiro's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Muichiro ranked 3rd place in the second popularity poll with 11,948 votes.
- According to Tengen Uzui, Muichiro is one of two people who became a Hashira only two months after becoming a Demon Slayer, the other being Gyomei Himejima.
- Muichiro wears loose and oversized clothes in order to disorient enemies, as they would not be able to see his limbs and joints moving so well. This is supposed is hinder their ability to predict Muichiro's movements.
- Muichiro can't have pets because his crow would get jealous.
- He is the only known character in the series to both overpower and kill an Upper Rank Twelve Kizuki single-handedly.