I was the happy when the four of us were living together as a family. And ever since I was left alone, I had my share of painful and sad moments, but I made friends. I had fun, and I could smile again. I had so many times I was happy I can't count them all. Is that so bad? I didn't run away from anything, and I didn't turn my eyes away either. I put my life on the line for my friends, and I have no regrets about it.
— Muichiro Tokito to Yuichiro Tokito in Feelings for Elder Brother, Feelings for Younger Brother
Muichiro Tokito (
Muichiro is a short, young man of light complexion with long, straight hair of a black color that fades to Mint Green as it approaches his waist. He wears his hair loose with two clumps protruding slightly from each side of his head, a set of marginally shorter hair left down to frame his face, and unruly bangs over his forehead. He also possesses large, empty-looking mint-green eyes. His eyes and hair are traits shared with his twin brother, Yuichiro Tokito.
Muichiro wears a dark, slightly turquoise-tinted version of the Demon Slayer uniform. His uniform has longer, looser sleeves that are more reminiscent of those of a kimono than of the standard cuffed uniform. Along with this, the lack of bands of cloth wrapped around his calves gives his uniform an overall loose and sizable appearance. Finally, he wears dark blue tabi socks and a pair of white zōri with dark blue straps.
Muichiro is an air-headed individual who seems to constantly wander off in thought and never focus on one thing. Impassive and, at times, obtuse, he tends to think only for himself and operates on logic alone, never letting emotion guide him. Despite this, he has been shown to get serious when it is required and is devoted to his position as the Demon Slayer Corps' Mist Hashira. Alternatively he seems to display a cold and arrogant side; violently shaking down Kotetsu and calling him stupid, saying his time as a Hashira was super important, and that 'all' the sword smiths could do was make weapons.
However, before the death of his twin brother when the siblings were eleven, Muichiro's personality was that of a much more caring individual. Having originally taken after his father, he was shown to display a higher level of kindness and understanding than his demeanor as a Demon Slayer, believing he should aim to do good for others if he wanted good to be done for him. After his brother was killed at the hands of a Demon, Muichiro subsequently lost his memories and held an omnipresent rage deeply suppressed inside of him that inevitably drove his future, intense training. After this memory loss, he started exhibiting the indifferent attitude he wears as a Hashira.
After his memories returned, Muichiro began expressing more emotions and became more confident in himself, aiding him in building friendships among the Demon Slayers. He also learned other expressions, such as sarcasm and smugness towards Upper Rank 5, Gyokko.
Overall Abilities: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is a very powerful swordsman. He is noted to be incredibly talented despite his young age, accomplishing his Hashira status after a mere two months of training. After awakening his Demon Slayer Mark, Muichiro is able to defeat Gyokko, Upper Rank 5, with relative ease even after the Upper Rank assumed his true form. His techniques were also praised by Kokushibo, Upper Rank 1, for being well developed for one so young. Despite this, Muichiro is still severely outmatched in his encounter with him, having his arm cut off after Kokushibo drew his blade for the first time. However, later on in the fight, his contributions proved to be crucial in Upper Rank One's defeat: After unlocking the Transparent World and the ability to dye his Nichirin Blade a crimson red color as well as the willingness to sacrifice his own life, Muichiro is able to land a critical blow on Upper Rank 1.
Demon Slayer Mark: Muichiro's mark is first awakened during his battle against Upper Rank 5, Gyokko. The mark appears as several red, mist-like designs that cover the entirety of his body, most noticeably on his face and arms. While the mark is active, his offensive and defensive abilities are increased by several times their usual strength, the power increase being enough to grant him the strength to not only operate a severely poisoned body but additionally kill an Upper Rank effortlessly. However, once the mark vanishes, he immediately begins suffering from the effects of the poison, showing that the mark is only effective for as long as it is manifested.
- Bright Red Nichirin Blade: During his battle against Upper Rank 1, Muichiro turned his Nichirin Blade a bright red color by gripping it with all his might, allowing him to hamper the regenerating of Kokushibo.
- Transparent World: Similar to Tanjiro, Muichiro obtained the ability to see the "Transparent World," which him to see the muscles, blood flow, and joint movement of his opponents, which allowed him to accurately predict and anticipate the movements and attacks of Kokushibo.
Enhanced Strength: Despite his build appearing to be the smallest and seemingly weakest of the Demon Slayers and Hashira, Muichiro has been shown to be stronger than Tanjiro Kamado by a wide margin. He is able to knock him out with a blow to the neck and did not budge when Tanjiro held and gripped his arm with all of his strength, despite Tanjiro being strong enough to break Genya Shinazugawa's arm even before he began training as a Demon Slayer.
Immense Speed and Reflexes: In his fight against Gyokko, he has displayed multiple times that he could react and dodge to the Upper Rank's blinding bursts of speed. Despite being unable to keep up with the speeds of Upper Rank 1, Kokushibo, Muichiro could dodge a barrage of his crescent moon blades.
Immense Stamina and Endurance: Muichiro possesses incredible stamina and endurance, possibly the most polished. When his arm got cut off, he unhesitantly stopped the bleeding and immediately continued his attack against Kokushibo. Even after suffering from blood loss multiple times, that didn't hamper his determination and willpower. Later on, he had his legs sliced off while stabbing Kokushibo and still managed to deal significant damage to him. Most amazingly of all, despite having his entire torso being sliced clean, he still held onto his katana and turned it crimson red, which was a big factor that led to Kokushibo's defeat.
Omnipresent Rage: Muichiro attributes the origin of his willpower towards training and his strength towards the awakened omnipresent rage within him, both appearing after his brother's death.
- Indomitable Will: Muichiro's will and spirit is one of the strongest in the entire series. Even after having his arm, then both his legs and even his entire torso being sliced clean, he still remained determined and ultimately led to the defeat of Upper Rank 1, Kokushibo.
Master Swordsman: Being a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. Muichiro's sword techniques impressed even Upper Rank One, the strongest swordsman of the current era.
Mist Breathing (
- First Form: Low Clouds, Distant Haze (
壱ノ 型 垂 天 遠 霞Ichi no Kata: Suiten Tōgasumi?) - The user unleashes a powerful thrust attack in front of them.
- Second Form: Eight-Layered Mist (
弐ノ 型 八 重 霞Ni no Kata: Yaekasumi?) - The user unleashes eight slashes, one on top of the other in quick succession.
- Third Form: Scattering Mist Splash (
参ノ 型 霞 散の 飛 沫San no Kata: Kasan no Shibuki?) - The user releases a powerful circular slash that blows away projectile attacks.
- Fourth Form: Shifting Flow Slash (
肆ノ 型 移 流 斬り Shi no Kata: Iryūgiri?) - The user quickly unsheathes their blade and strikes their enemy at blinding speeds. This technique is reminiscent of Iaijutsu.
- Fifth Form: Sea of Clouds and Haze (
伍ノ 型 霞 雲の 海Go no Kata: Kaun no Umi?) - The user dashes forward at high speed and unleashes a flurry of slashes that covers a wide area.
- Sixth Form: Lunar Dispersing Mist (
陸ノ 型 月の 霞 消Roku no Kata: Tsuki no Kashō?) - The user leaps high in the air upside down and sends a series of countless ranged slashes downwards, capable of decimating a wide area.
- Seventh Form: Obscuring Clouds (
漆ノ 型 朧Shichi no Kata: Oboro?) - The personal creation of Muichiro Tokito. A technique in which the user drastically changes the tempo of their movement to disorient an enemy, this technique seemingly takes the form of clouds of mist enveloping a wide area. When the user shows themselves, their speed will appear to be extremely slow but when they hide, the user moves in the blink of an eye.
Standard Nichirin Katana: Like the majority of Demon Slayers, Muichiro harbors a standard Nichirin Blade. His katana is white, complementing his breathing style, Mist Breathing. The hilt is rectangular with hollowed rectangles at each corner, and has the words Destroy Demons (
- The first kanji of Muichiro's first name, "nothingness" (無 mu?), is noted to also be used to write the word "infinity" (無限 mugen?).
- Muichiro's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Muichiro ranked 29th place in the first popularity poll with 55 votes.
- Muichiro ranked 3rd place in the second popularity poll with 11,948 votes.
- According to Tengen Uzui, Muichiro is one of two people who became a Hashira only two months after becoming a Demon Slayer, the other being Gyomei Himejima.
- Muichiro wears loose and oversized clothes in order to disorient enemies, as they would not be able to see his limbs and joints moving so well. This is supposed is hinder their ability to predict Muichiro's movements.
- Muichiro can't have pets because his crow would get jealous.
- He is the only known Hashira in the series to both overpower and kill an Upper Rank Twelve Kizuki single-handedly.
- (To Yuichiro Tokito) "I... was born to be happy. Isn't that the same for you Nii-san? Am I wrong? Were you not happy? Did you never once feel a moment of happiness? I was happy when the four of us were living together as a family. Once I was alone, there was a lot of pain and hard times, but... I made friends. I had fun. I was able to smile again. The moments where I was happy was uncountable! That was pointless? I never ran from anything, so I faced everything. I'm not going to regret laying down my life for my friends."