Muichiro is a short, young man of light complexion with long, straight hair of a black color that fades to pale turquoise as it approaches his waist. He wears his hair loose with two clumps protruding slightly from each side of his head, a set of marginally shorter hair left down to frame his face, and unruly bangs over his forehead. He also possesses large, empty-looking, mint-green eyes. His eyes and hair are traits shared with his twin brother, Yuichiro Tokito.
Muichiro wears a dark, slightly turquoise-tinted version of the Demon Slayer uniform. His uniform has longer, looser sleeves that are more reminiscent of those of a kimono than of the standard cuffed uniform. Along with this, the lack of bands of cloth wrapped around his calves gives his uniform an overall loose and sizeable appearance.
Muichiro is an air-headed individual who seems to constantly wander off in thought and never focus on one thing. Impassive and, at times, obtuse, he tends to think only for himself and operates on logic alone, never letting emotion guide him. Despite this, he has been shown to get serious when it is required and is devoted to his position as the Demon Slayer Corps' Mist Hashira.
However, before the death of his twin brother when the siblings were eleven, Muichiro's personality was that of a much more caring individual. Having originally taken after his father, he was shown to display a higher level of kindness and understanding than his demeanor as a Demon Slayer, believing he should aim to do good for others if he wanted good to be done for him. After his brother was killed at the hands of a Demon, Muichiro subsequently lost his memories and held an omnipresent rage deeply suppressed inside of him that inevitably drove his future, intense training. After this memory loss, he started exhibiting the indifferent attitude he wears as a Hashira.
After his memories returned, Muichiro began expressing more emotions and became more confident in himself, aiding him in building friendships among the Demon Slayers. He also learned other expressions, such as sarcasm and smugness towards Upper Moon Five, Gyokko.
Abilities and Powers
As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is a very powerful swordsman. He is noted to be incredibly talented despite his young age, accomplishing his Hashira status after a mere two months of training. After awakening his Demon Slayer Mark, Muichiro is able to defeat Gyokko, Upper Moon Five, with relative ease even after the Upper Moon assumed his true form. His techniques were also praised by Kokushibo, Upper Moon One, for being well developed for one so young. Despite this, Muichiro is still severely outmatched in his encounter with him, having his arm cut off after Kokushibo drew his blade for the first time. However, later on in the fight, his contributions proved to be crucial in Upper Moon One's defeat: After unlocking the See-Through World and the ability to dye his Nichirin Blade a crimson red color as well as the willingness to sacrifice his own life, Muichiro is able to land a critical blow on Upper Moon One.
- Master Swordsman: Being a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Muichiro is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. Muichiro's sword techniques impressed even Upper Moon One.
- Enhanced strength: Despite his build appearing to be the smallest and seemingly weakest of the Demon Slayers and Hashira, Muichiro has been shown to be stronger than Tanjiro Kamado by a wide margin. He is able to knock him out with a blow to the neck and did not budge when Tanjiro held and gripped his arm with all of his strength, despite Tanjiro being strong enough to break Genya Shinazugawa's arm even before he began training as a Demon Slayer.
- Omnipresent Rage: Muichiro attributes the origin of his willpower towards training and his strength towards the awakened rage within him, both appearing after his brother's death.
- See-Through World: Similar to Tanjiro, Muichiro obtained the ability to see the "see-through world," which granted him superhuman kinetic vision similar to Kanao Tsuyuri. The ability enabled him to see the muscles, blood flow, and joint movement of his opponents, which allowed him to accurately predict and anticipate the movements and attacks of his opponents.
- Crimson Red Nichirin Blade: During his battle against Upper Moon One, Muichiro gained the ability to dye his Nichirin Blade a crimson red color, giving it the ability to hamper the enhanced regeneration of Demons.
- Demon Slayer Mark: Muichiro's mark is first awakened during his battle against Upper Moon Five, Gyokko. The mark appears as several red, mist-like designs that cover the entirety of his body, most noticeably on his face and arms. While the mark is active, his offensive and defensive abilities are increased by several times their usual strength, the power increase being enough to grant him the strength to not only operate a severely poisoned body but additionally kill an Upper Moon effortlessly. However, once the mark vanishes, he immediately begins suffering from the effects of the poison, showing that the mark is only effective for as long as it is manifested.
Breath of Mist Style (
- First Form: Hanging Sky, Distant Mist (
壱ノ 型 垂 天 遠 霞Ichi no kata: Suiten Tōgasumi?) - A straightforward thrust attack.
- Second Form: Eight Layered Mist (
弐ノ 型 八 重 霞Ni no kata: Yaekasumi?)- Muichiro unleashes multiple slashes one on top of the other in quick succession.
- Third Form: Demisting Blast (
参ノ 型 霞 散の 飛 沫San no kata: Kasan no Shibuki?)- A circular slash that blows away projectile attacks from enemies.
- Fourth Form: Shifting Flow Slash (
肆ノ 型 移 流 斬り Shi no kata: Iryūkiri?) - A quick slash from the sheathe, reminiscent of an Iaidō technique.
- Fifth Form: Sea of Clouds and Haze (
伍ノ 型 霞 雲の 海Go no kata: Kaun no Umi?) - Muichiro charges towards an enemy attack at high speed and unleashes a flurry of slashes.
- Six Form: Moonlit Mist (
陸ノ 型 月の 霞 消Roku no kata: Tsuki no Kashō?) - Muichiro leaps high in the air and sends a series of countless ranged slashes downwards.
- Seventh Form: Obscuring Clouds (
漆ノ 型 朧Sachi no kata: Oboro?) - A technique in which Muichiro drastically changes the tempo of his movement to disorient an enemy. When he shows himself, his speed will appear to be extremely slow but when he hides, he moves in the blink of an eye. This technique was created by Muichiro Tokito and first seen during his battle against Upper Moon Five, Gyokko.
- The first kanji of Muichiro's first name, "nothingness" (無 mu?), is noted to also be used to write the word "infinity" (無限 mugen?).
- According to Tengen Uzui, Muichiro is one of two people who became a Hashira only two months after becoming a Demon Slayer, the other being Gyomei Himejima.
- Muichiro wears loose and oversized clothes in order to disorient enemies, as they would not be able to see his limbs and joints moving so well. This is supposed is hinder their ability to predict Muichiro's movements.
- Muichiro can't have pets because his crow would get jealous.