Why do you think I went so far as to kill our mother? To protect you. You should have had a house somewhere and raised a family and grow old. To make up for what I couldn't do for mother and our little brothers and little sisters, you should have had a wife and children and made them happy. And I would've never... let a demon get near you.
Sanemi Shinazugawa (
Sanemi is also the older brother of Genya Shinazugawa, a Demon Slayer. Before becoming a Hashira, Sanemi, along with his partner Masachika Kumeno, defeated the former Lower Rank One, Ubume, with Masachika dying as a result.
Sanemi is a tall, muscular, and slender man with spiky white hair and large eyes. His face and body are covered with scars, accrued over his many years of fighting Demons. He cuts his hair short somewhere in between the Functional Recovery Training Arc and the Demon Train Arc.
He wears a green-tinted version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, unbuttoned to expose his chest and abs with a white long sleeved shirt over it with the kanji for kill (
During his battle with Kokushibo, he loses his right index finger and his right middle finger.
Sanemi is abrasive, hot-blooded, and stubborn, often times impulsive and quick to lash out. The only person he displayed reverence towards was Kagaya Ubuyashiki, and only after realizing the man was much more than his outward appearance suggested.
Sanemi's cold, rude, dismissive behavior is the result of losing too many people he cared about in the past. Later, when he sees those people who have passed, such as his mother, he can't help but give her a smile to be able to see her again. When Genya joins the Demon Slayers in search of Sanemi, Sanemi hurls verbal abuses at him, but Tanjiro Kamado is able to tell Sanemi didn't truly hate him; and in fact still bore the same brotherly love he had for him in childhood. This was however never expressed outwardly as he tried to push Genya away from him and the Demon Slayers so he wouldn't be exposed to danger.
Because of all those he lost to Demons, he harbors a deep hatred towards Demons and is convinced that humans and Demons can never coexist. When Sanemi makes up his mind about something, it is extremely difficult to dissuade him. He does not believe Tanjiro's insistence that Nezuko Kamado wouldn't eat humans and moves to prove his own point by stabbing through the box with Nezuko inside. After riling her up, he slashes his own arm to try and bait her into attacking him due to his rare blood's effect. Even after she doesn't, and Kagaya uses this as proof Nezuko won't attack humans, Sanemi doesn't truly accept the Kamado siblings.
Tanjiro is ultimately right about Sanemi. Despite his poor treatment of his brother, Genya, Sanemi truly did love and care for his brother. He even expresses that he wished that Genya would settle down and have a family.
Following the battle with Upper Rank 1, Sanemi shows not only great anger and a certain emptiness towards Muzan, but more cooperation with the likes of Giyu, someone he clearly did not get along with. Even when Sanemi is launched out of the battle against Muzan, he displays undeniable courage and determination, like his fellow Hashira.
When the showdown with Muzan is finally over and time has passed, Sanemi has clearly mellowed out a bit. He is able to smile with Giyu, even after their past confrontations. Most surprisingly, he admits his mistakes and apologizes to Nezuko about his actions. He can't help but give her a smile and a pat on the head, as he even sees Genya in how she responds.
Demon Slayer Mark: Later during the battle against Upper Rank 1, Kokushibo, Sanemi awakened his own Mark that resembled a single paper origami windmill with two dots on both sides on his right cheek. The mark dramatically increases his power and abilities, as seen when Sanemi was still able to fight and contend with Kokushibo on even ground, despite being grievously injured and slashed across his abdomen. However, even though his physical endurance, strength, and tolerance to pain dramatically increased, he couldn't land a significant hit on Kokushibo without assistance from Gyomei and Muichiro. In addition, he would have been put into a near-death state twice by Kokushibo if it weren't for their intervention.
- Bright Red Nichirin Blade: During the battle against Kokushibo, Sanemi strikes Gyomei's spiked flail with his sword, turning both of them briefly red. Later in the fight against Muzan, Sanemi, learning from his previous encounter, forcefully clashes his sword together with Giyu's turning both of their blades temporarily red. Turning his blade red granted him the ability to hamper the enhanced regeneration of Demons.
Enhanced Strength: Due to years of harsh training, Sanemi has honed his strength to an incredible caliber. During the Hashira Meeting, he lifted Nezuko Kamado in her box with a single hand without effort. In the Hashira Training Arc, he knocked out Zenitsu Agatsuma with a single strike, broke a wooden sword just by simply swinging it, and caused the ear of Tanjiro Kamado to be cut and bleed with a single kick.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: As the second strongest Hashira of the current generation, Sanemi possesses incredible movement speed. During the Hashira Training Arc, when he was disputing with Tanjiro Kamado about his brother, Genya Shinazugawa, Sanemi managed to blitz him, moving using a burst of speed so fast it made it seem like he teleported. In his battle against Kokushibo, he managed to keep up with his insanely quick movements, which even a marked Muichiro Tokito described to be "in a different dimension".
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Sanemi has displayed incredible stamina and endurance. Despite sustaining dozens of scars and cuts all over his body, he never once showed signs of pain or agony, to the point he was willing to cut himself with his katana to test Nezuko Kamado, and didn't even flinch. In the Sunrise Countdown Arc, he could fight the Demon King, Muzan Kibutsuji for almost an hour straight, exerting his physical and mental capabilities to its limit without tiring to severely. When Muzan was cornered, he was one of the first ones to take action, having enough energy to unleash 2 more Wind Breathing techniques.
Marechi: Sanemi's blood was revealed to be one of the rarest blood types, making it incredibly intoxicating and mouth watering to Demons. It is also unique due to its intense potency that the smallest whiff of his blood immediately causes Demons to salivate and lose focus, as his blood was able to affect the strongest of the Upper Ranks, Kokushibo. Despite his blood's potency, Nezuko was shown to be able to resist it due to her own strong conviction and will not to eat humans, which is even further cemented and strengthened by the hypnosis planted in her brain by Sakonji Urokodaki.
Muscle Control: Sanemi has also shown the ability to manipulate his own muscles to close up and prevent fatal and mortal wounds from opening up and bleeding out during mid battle, as seen when he was fatally slashed and cut up across his abdomen by Kokushibo, he was still able to fight on by manipulating his own muscles to close up his wounds.
Weapon Flexibility: In his battle against Kokushibo, Sanemi used his brother's sword and gun in conjuction with his own blade, albeit briefly. Furthermore, when fighting Muzan, he utilized fire by dumping oil on the Demon and lighting it.
Master Swordsman: Being a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Sanemi is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. Sanemi's skills and sword techniques are incredibly powerful and refined, impressing even Upper Rank 1 Kokushibo, a Demon with hundreds of years of skill and experience behind him.
- First Form: Dust Whirlwind Cutter (
壱ノ 型 鹿 旋 風・ 削ぎ Ichi no Kata: Jin Senpū - Sogi?) - The user dashes forward at blinding speeds and slashes continuously in a horizontal cyclone pattern.
- Second Form: Claw-Purifying Wind (
弐ノ 型 爪 々・ 科 戸 風Ni no Kata: Sōsō - Shinato Kaze?) - The user lifts the sword upwards towards the right, above their head and unleashes four vertical slashes at once down on the enemy resembling claws.
- Third Form: Clean Storm Wind Tree (
参ノ 型 晴 嵐 風 樹San no Kata: Seiran Fūju?) - The user unleashes a whirlwind of slashes around their body that can defend them from incoming attacks and slice up their surroundings.
- Fourth Form: Rising Dust Storm (
肆ノ 型 昇 上 砂 塵 嵐Shi no Kata: Shōjō Sajinran?) - The user releases several slashes above them from below their target.
- Fifth Form: Cold Mountain Wind (
伍ノ 型 木 枯らし 颪Go no Kata: Kogarashi Oroshi?) - The user creates several circular arched slashes that increase in size from above their target.
- Sixth Form: Black Wind Mountain Mist (
陸ノ 型 黒 風 烟 嵐Roku no Kata: Kokufū Enran?) - The user rotates their body in an uppercut movement, creating a tornado of slashes.
- Seventh Form: Gale - Sudden Gusts (
漆ノ 型 頸 風・ 天 狗 風Shichi no Kata: Keifū - Tengu Kaze?) - The user leaps into the air while swinging their blade which generates gale-force winds to shred their opponent apart.
- Eighth Form: Primary Gale Slash (
捌ノ 型 初 烈 風 斬り Hachi no Kata: Sho Rekkaza Kiri?) - The user leaps into the air and swings their blade which generates circular torrents of wind that slices up the opponent instantly.
- Ninth Form: Idaten Typhoon (
玖ノ 型 韋 駄 天 台 風Ku no Kata: Idaten Taifū?) - The user backflips into the air and while upside-down, unleashes a powerful gust of circular wind that slashes apart anything below.
Standard Nichirin Katana: Like the majority of Demon Slayers, Sanemi harbors a standard Nichirin Blade. His katana has a jagged pattern resembling the jaw of a beast in a shade of green, complementing his breathing style, Wind Breathing. His hilt is in an abstract shape with 8 points with an overlapping pattern; each plate has a forest green core with a silver border, his katana's scabbard a shade of deep gray with silver marks resembling scars strewn on it. Sanemi's Nichirin Blade has the words Destroy Demons (
- Sanemi's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Sanemi ranked 15th place in the first popularity poll with 207 votes.
- Sanemi ranked 9th place in the second popularity poll with 5,716 votes.
- As revealed during his bout against Giyu, Sanemi loves ohagi and considers it his favorite thing, frequently cooking it. However, his pride refuses him from saying anything about it.
- Like Kiyoshi, Sanemi is a marechi, and his blood is considered rarer even for a marechi as it can intoxicate Demons and disrupt their senses and movement speed.
- Sanemi always keeps his uniform open, as he is proud of his muscles.
- Sanemi owns a Japanese rhinoceros beetle.
- Sanemi lost his index and middle finger in his right hand in the battle against Kokushibo.
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "Is that the idiotic corps member who travels with a Demon? Just what is going on here anyway?"
- (To Kokushibo, after he identifies Sanemi as the Wind Hashira) "That's right! And that wind... is going to wrench off your head!"
- (To Genya Shinazugawa) "Why do you think I went so far as to kill our mother? To protect you. You should have had a house somewhere and raised a family and grow old. To make up for what I couldn't do for mother and our little brothers and little sisters, you should have had a wife and children and made them happy. And I would've never... let a demon get near you." 
- (To Kokushibo) "How dare you dice my little brother up, you fuck-eyed bastard! You're dead! Dead! Unforgiveable!!"
- (To Kiriya Ubuyashiki) "We don't need any of your gratitude! The biggest reason why the Demon Slayers stayed together is because of the efforts of the Ubuyashiki family!"
- (To Nezuko Kamado) "Take care."