|“||Letting a human live is one thing, but not a Demon. I cannot agree. There is nothing normal about it.||”|
Sanemi is a tall, muscular, and slender man with spiky white hair and large eyes. His face and body are covered with scars, accrued over his many years of fighting demons. He cuts his hair short somewhere in between the Functional Recovery Training Arc and the Demon Train Arc.
He wears a green-tinted version of the Demon Slayer uniform, unbuttoned to expose his chest, a white long sleeved shirt, white buckles around his shins and tabi socks with a pair of zori with green straps.
During his battle with Kokushibo, he loses his right index finger and his right middle finger.
Sanemi is abrasive, hot-blooded, and stubborn, often times impulsive and quick to lash out. The only person he displayed reverence towards was Kagaya Ubuyashiki, and only after realizing the man was much more than his outward appearance suggested.
Sanemi's cold, rude, dismissive behavior is the result of losing too many people he cared about in the past. Later, when he sees those people who have passed, such as his mother, he can't help but give her a smile to be able to see her again. When Genya joins the Demon Slayers in search of Sanemi, Sanemi hurls verbal abuses at him, but Tanjiro Kamado is able to tell Sanemi didn't truly hate him; and in fact still bore the same brotherly love he had for him in childhood. This was however never expressed outwardly as he tried to push Genya away from him and the Demon Slayers so he wouldn't be exposed to danger.
Because of all those he lost to demons, he harbors a deep hatred towards demons and is convinced that humans and demons can never coexist. When Sanemi makes up his mind about something, it is extremely difficult to dissuade him— he doesn't believe Tanjiro's insistence that Nezuko Kamado doesn't eat humans, and moves to prove his own point by stabbing through the box with Nezuko inside. After riling her up, he slashes his own arm to try and bait her into attacking him due to his rare blood's effect. Even after she doesn't, and Kagaya uses this as proof Nezuko won't attack humans, Sanemi doesn't truly accept the Kamado siblings.
Tanjiro is ultimately right about Sanemi. Despite his poor treatment of his brother, Genya, Sanemi truly did love and care for his brother. He even expresses that he wished that Genya would settle down and have a family.
Following the battle with Upper Rank 1, Sanemi shows not only great anger and a certain emptiness towards Muzan, but more cooperation with the likes of Giyu, someone he clearly did not get along with. Even when Sanemi is launched out of the battle against Muzan, he displays undeniable courage and determination, like his fellow pillars.
When the showdown with Muzan is finally over and time has passed, Sanemi has clearly mellowed out a bit. He is able to smile with Giyu, even after their past confrontations. Most surprisingly, he admits his mistakes and apologizes to Nezuko about his actions. He can't help but give her a smile and a pat on the head, as he even sees Genya in how she responds.
Abilities and Powers
- Master Swordsman: Being a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Sanemi is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in the entire organization. Sanemi's skills and sword techniques are incredibly powerful and refined, impressing even Upper Rank 1 Kokushibo, a Demon with hundreds of years of skill and experience behind him.
- Intoxicant Blood (Marechi): Sanemi's blood was revealed to be one of the rarest blood types, making it incredibly intoxicating and mouth watering to demons. It is also unique due to its intense potency that the smallest whiff of his blood immediately causes demons to salivate and lose focus, as his blood was able to affect the strongest of the Upper Ranks, Kokushibo. Despite his blood's potency, Nezuko was shown to be able to resist it due to her own strong conviction and will not to eat humans, which is even further cemented and strengthened by the hypnosis planted in her brain by Sakonji Urokodaki.
- Muscle Control: Sanemi has also shown the ability to manipulate his own muscles to close up and prevent fatal and mortal wounds from opening up and bleeding out during mid battle, as seen when he was fatally slashed and cut up across his abdomen by Kokushibo, he was still able to fight on by manipulating his own muscles to close up his wounds.
- Crimson Red Nichirin Blade: During the battle against Kokushibo, Sanemi strikes Gyomei's spiked flail with his sword, turning both of them briefly red. Later in the fight against Muzan, Sanemi, learning from his previous encounter, forcefully clashes his sword together with Giyu's turning both of their blades temporarily red. Turning your blade red grants you the ability to hamper the enhanced regeneration of Demons.
- Demon Slayer Mark: Later during the battle against Upper Rank 1, Kokushibo, Sanemi awakened his own Mark that takes on the appearance of a single Paper Origami Windmill with two dots on both sides on his right cheek. The mark dramatically increases his power and abilities, as seen when Sanemi was still able to fight and contend with Kokushibo on even ground, despite being grievously injured and slashed across his abdomen. This shows that his physical endurance, strength, and tolerance to pain have been dramatically increased. However, he couldn't land a significant hit on Kokushibo without assistance from Gyomei and Muichiro. In addition, he would have been put into a near-death state twice by Kokushibo if it weren't for Muichiro and Gyomei's intervention.
- First Form: Dust Whirlwind Cutter (
壱ノ 型 鹿 旋 風・ 削ぎ Ichi no kata: Jin senpū・sogi?) - Sanemi dashes forward in a cyclone of slashes.
- Second Form: Claws-Purifying Wind (
弐ノ 型 爪 々・ 科 戸 風Ni no kata: Sōsō - shina to kaze?) - Sanemi sweeps onward and creates four claws-like slash towards the enemy.
- Third Form: Clear Storm Wind Tree (
参ノ 型 晴 嵐 風 樹San no kata: Seiran fūju?) - Sanemi sweeps his sword in circular movements to redirect enemy attacks.
- Fourth Form: Rising Dust Storm (
肆ノ 型 昇 上 砂 塵 嵐Shi no kata: Shōjō sa jinran?) - Sanemi sweeps his sword horizontally and create multiple cyclone of slashes to deflect enemy attacks.
- Fifth Form: Cold Mountain Wind (
伍ノ 型 木 枯らし 颪Go no kata: Kogarashi oroshi?) - Sanemi strikes from above while falling in a multitude of arced slashes.
- Sixth Form: Black Wind Mountain Mist (
陸ノ 型 黒 風 烟 嵐Roku no kata: Kokufū Enran?) - Sanemi unleashes a powerful vertical side way slash upwards at his target.
- Seventh Form: Gale - Sudden Gusts (
漆ノ 型 頸 風・ 天 狗 風Shichi no kata: Keifū - Tengu kaze?) - Sanemi leaps into the air while swinging his blade which generates gale-force winds to shred his opponent apart.
- Eighth Form: Primary Gale Slash (
捌ノ 型 初 烈 風 斬り Hachi no kata: Sho rekkaza kiri?) - Sanemi leaps into the air and swings his blade which generates circular torrents of wind.
- Ninth Form: Idaten Typhoon (
玖ノ 型 韋 駄 天 台 風Ku no kata: Idaten taifū?) - Sanemi preforms a back flip into the air and while upside-down, swings his blade to release a circular gust of wind.
- In the first character popularity poll, Sanemi ranked 15th with 207 votes.
- As revealed during his bout against Giyu, Sanemi loves ohagi and considers it his favorite thing, frequently cooking it. However, his pride refuses him from saying anything about it.
- Like Kiyoshi, Sanemi is a marechi, and his blood is considered rarer even for a marechi as it can intoxicate demons and disrupt their senses and movement speed.
- Sanemi always keeps his uniform open, as he is proud of his muscles.
- Sanemi owns a Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle.
- Sanemi lost his right index finger and right middle finger in the battle against Kokushibo.
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "Is that the idiotic corps member who travels with a Demon? Just what is going on here anyway?"
- (To Kagaya Ubuyashiki) "Letting a human live is one thing, but not a Demon. I cannot agree. There is nothing normal about it. "