Why do you think I went so far as to kill our mother? To protect you. You should have had a house somewhere and raised a family and grow old. To make up for what I couldn't do for mother and our little brothers and little sisters, you should have had a wife and children and made them happy. And I would've never... let a demon get near you.
Sanemi Shinazugawa (
Sanemi is also the older brother of Genya Shinazugawa, a Demon Slayer who fought alongside Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado. Before becoming a Hashira, Sanemi, along with his partner Masachika Kumeno, defeated the former Lower Rank One, Ubume, with Masachika dying as a result.
Sanemi is a tall and muscular man with spiky long white hair and large pale purple eyes. His face and body are covered with scars, accrued over his many years of fighting demons. He cuts his hair short somewhere in between the Rehabilitation Training Arc and the Mugen Train Arc. He is usually seen wearing a crazed expression on his face.
He wears a green-tinted version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, unbuttoned to expose his chest and abs with a white long sleeved shirt over it with the kanji for kill (
During his battle with Kokushibo, he loses his right index finger and his right middle finger.
Sanemi is abrasive, hot-blooded, extroverted, and stubborn, often times impulsive and quick to lash out. He often indifferent towards others and can get mad extremely easily. The only person Sanemi displayed reverence towards was Kagaya Ubuyashiki, and only after realizing the man was much more than his outward appearance suggested. Sanemi has also displayed a hunger for battle, wishing that he could encounter Upper Rank demons and proclaiming his joy for fighting Upper Rank One, Kokushibo.
Sanemi's cold, rude, dismissive behavior is the result of losing too many people he cared about in the past. Later, when he sees those people who have passed, such as his mother, he can't help but give her a smile to be able to see her again. When Genya joins the Demon Slayers in search of Sanemi, Sanemi hurls verbal abuses at him, but Tanjiro Kamado is able to tell Sanemi didn't truly hate him; and in fact still bore the same brotherly love he had for him in childhood. This was however never expressed outwardly as he tried to push Genya away from him and the Demon Slayers so he wouldn't be exposed to danger.
Because of all those he lost to demons, he harbors a deep hatred towards demons and is convinced that humans and demons can never coexist. When Sanemi makes up his mind about something, it is extremely difficult to dissuade him. He does not believe Tanjiro's insistence that Nezuko Kamado wouldn't eat humans and moves to prove his own point by stabbing through the box with Nezuko inside. After riling her up, he slashes his own arm to try and bait her into attacking him due to his rare blood's effect. Even after she doesn't, and Kagaya uses this as proof Nezuko won't attack humans, Sanemi doesn't truly accept the Kamado siblings.
Tanjiro is ultimately right about Sanemi. Despite his poor treatment of his brother, Genya, Sanemi truly did love and care for his brother. He even expresses that he wished that Genya would settle down and have a family. Following the battle with Upper Rank One, Sanemi shows not only great anger and a certain emptiness towards Muzan, but more cooperation with the likes of Giyu, someone he clearly did not get along with. Even when Sanemi is launched out of the battle against Muzan, he displays undeniable courage and determination, like his fellow Hashira. When the showdown with Muzan is finally over and time has passed, Sanemi has clearly mellowed out a bit. He is able to smile with Giyu, even after their past confrontations. Most surprisingly, he admits his mistakes and apologizes to Nezuko about his actions. He can't help but give her a smile and a pat on the head, as he even sees Genya in how she responds.
Overall Abilities: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Sanemi is a very powerful and skilled swordsman and combatant. He has displayed his extraordinary abilities and proficiency in combat on multiple occasions. When sparring with Giyu Tomioka, Sanemi was able to fight on equal grounds with the Water Hashira. In the Infinity Castle Arc, Sanemi was shown to be capable of annihilating dozens of demons comparable to Lower Rank demons in strength and later could hold his own against Upper Rank One, Kokushibo. According to Kokushibo, Sanemi's physical abilities and techniques have reached their peak. Kokushibo also commented that Sanemi and Gyomei were highly skilled even among the ranks of the Hashira. After Kokushibo was defeated, Sanemi was quick to recover from the death of his brother and proceeded to assist the Demon Slayers against the Demon King himself, Muzan Kibutsuji, Sanemi even putting up a good fight himself.
Demon Slayer Mark: Later during the battle against Kokushibo, Sanemi awakened his own Demon Slayer Mark that resembled a single paper origami windmill that is green in color with two dots on both sides on his right cheek. The mark dramatically increases his physical capavilities, as seen when Sanemi was still able to fight and contend with Kokushibo, despite being grievously injured and slashed across his abdomen. However, even though his physical endurance, strength, and tolerance to pain dramatically increased, Sanemi couldn't land a significant hit on Kokushibo without assistance from Gyomei and Muichiro. In addition, Sanemi would have been put into a near-death state twice by Kokushibo if it weren't for their intervention.
- Bright Red Nichirin Sword: During the battle against Kokushibo, Sanemi strikes Gyomei's spiked flail with his sword, turning both of them briefly red which allowed them to decapitate the Upper Rank. Later in the fight against Muzan, Sanemi, learning from his previous encounter, forcefully clashes his sword together with Giyu's turning both of their blades temporarily red. Turning his blade red granted him the ability to hamper the instantaneous regeneration of Muzan which proved effective in the battle.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: Sanemi possesses incredible movement speed and reflexes. During the Hashira Training Arc, when he was disputing with Tanjiro about Genya, Sanemi moved using a burst of speed so fast it made it seem like he teleported according to some observers. Later, Sanemi displayed a level of speed comparable to, if not surpassing, Giyu. When faced with demons on par with Lower Rank demons, Sanemi was able to effortlessly slice them into pieces while still sitting down. Sanemi was shown to be much faster than Muichiro in the Kokushibo fight as the former was able to keep up with the demon's techniques while the latter was defeated easily despite being marked. Upon awakening his Demon Slayer Mark, Sanemi and Gyomei was able to contend and briefly overpower Kokushibo. Sanemi, while injured and tired, could also, for a brief time, hold his own against Muzan, whose movement speed surpasses that of all Upper Rank demons.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Despite sustaining dozens of scars and cuts all over his body, Sanemi never once showed signs of pain or agony, to the point he was willing to cut himself with his katana to test Nezuko Kamado, and didn't even flinch. His incredible stamina and pain endurance also shone through during his battle with Kokushibo, where he could keep up with the Upper Rank demon for an extended period of time by himself without the Demon Slayer Mark and upon receving numerous severe injuries from one of Kokushibo's techniques, still continued to fight which shocked him. In the Sunrise Countdown Arc, he could fight Muzan for roughly half an hour straight without rest, exerting his physical and mental capabilities to its limit without tiring out. When Muzan was cornered, he was one of the first ones to take action, having enough energy to unleash two more Wind Breathing techniques.
Immense Strength: Due to years of harsh training, Sanemi has honed his strength to an incredible caliber. He could lift Nezuko Kamado in her box with a single hand without effort, knock out Zenitsu Agatsuma with a casual strike, break a wooden sword because he swung it with too much force, and cut Tanjiro Kamado's ear with a single kick. He was also able to briefly contend with Kokushibo, one of the physically strongest demons in existence in a swordfight.
Marechi: Sanemi's blood was revealed to be one of the rarest blood types, making it incredibly intoxicating and mouth watering to demons. It is also unique due to its intense potency that the smallest whiff of his blood immediately causes demons to salivate and lose focus, as his blood was able to affect the strongest of the Upper Ranks, Kokushibo. However, its effect waned after a while and was proven to completely ineffective against Muzan. Despite his blood's potency, Nezuko was shown to be able to resist it due to her own strong conviction and will not to eat humans, which is even further cemented and strengthened by the hypnosis planted in her brain by Sakonji Urokodaki.
Muscle Control: Sanemi can control his own muscles to an extent, using it to close up and prevent fatal wounds from opening up in the middle of battle, When he was slashed across his abdomen by Kokushibo, Sanemi was still able to fight after taking some time to manipulate his muscles and close up his wounds. This ability surprised Kokushibo and allowed Sanemi to fight for a longer period of time.
Weapon Versatility : Sanemi has shown to be fairly flexible in weapon usage, being able to use Genya's sword and shotgun along with his own Nichirin Sword in a high-speed battle against Kokushibo. Additionally, when fighting Muzan, he utilized fire by dumping oil on the demon and lighting it with a match.
Master Swordsman: Being a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Sanemi is one of the most powerful and skilled swordsman in the entire organization. His swordsmanship proficiency matched that of Giyu Tomioka's, an extremely skilled swordsman in his own right, during their sparring match while undergoing pillar training. Sanemi's skills in the sword was able keep up with and impress Upper Rank One, Kokushibo, a demon with centuries of swordsmanship skill under his belt. Sanemi could also adapt and work with Gyomei's Stone Breathing techniques to push back Kokushibo.
Wind Breathing (
- First Form: Dust Whirlwind Cutter (
壱ノ 型 鹿 旋 風・ 削ぎ Ichi no kata: Jin Senpū - Sogi?) - The user dashes forward at blinding speeds and slashes continuously in a horizontal cyclone pattern.
- Second Form: Claws, Purifying Wind (
弐ノ 型 爪 々・ 科 戸 風Ni no kata: Sōsō - Shinato Kaze?) - The user lifts the sword upwards towards the right, above their head and unleashes four vertical slashes at once down on the enemy resembling claws.
- Third Form: Clean Storm Wind Tree (
参ノ 型 晴 嵐 風 樹San no kata: Seiran Fūju?) - The user unleashes a whirlwind of slashes around their body that can defend them from incoming attacks and slice up their surroundings.
- Fourth Form: Rising Dust Storm (
肆ノ 型 昇 上 砂 塵 嵐Shi no kata: Shōjō Sajinran?) - The user releases several slashes above them from below their target.
- Fifth Form: Cold Mountain Wind (
伍ノ 型 木 枯らし 颪Go no kata: Kogarashi Oroshi?) - The user creates several circular arched slashes that increase in size from above their target.
- Sixth Form: Black Wind Mountain Mist (
陸ノ 型 黒 風 烟 嵐Roku no kata: Kokufū Enran?) - The user rotates their body in an uppercut movement, creating a tornado of slashes.
- Seventh Form: Gale, Sudden Gusts (
漆ノ 型 頸 風・ 天 狗 風Shichi no kata: Keifū - Tengu Kaze?) - The user leaps into the air while swinging their blade which generates gale-force winds to shred their opponent apart.
- Eighth Form: Primary Gale Slash (
捌ノ 型 初 烈 風 斬り Hachi no kata: Sho Rekkaza Kiri?) - The user leaps into the air and swings their blade which generates circular torrents of wind that slices up the opponent instantly.
- Ninth Form: Idaten Typhoon (
玖ノ 型 韋 駄 天 台 風Ku no kata: Idaten Taifū?) - The user backflips into the air and while upside-down, unleashes a powerful gust of circular wind that slashes apart anything below.
Standard Nichirin Katana: As a Demon Slayer, Sanemi carries around a standard sized and shaped Nichirin katana with a jagged pattern resembling the jaw of a beast in a shade of green. His hilt is in an abstract shape with 8 points with an overlapping pattern; each plate has a forest green core with a silver border. As a Hashira, Sanemi's blade has the words Destroy Demons (
- Sanemi's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Sanemi ranked 15th place in the first popularity poll with 207 votes.
- Sanemi ranked 9th place in the second popularity poll with 5,716 votes.
- As revealed during his bout against Giyu, Sanemi loves ohagi and considers it his favorite thing, frequently cooking it. However, his pride refuses him from saying anything about it.
- Like Kiyoshi, Sanemi is a marechi, and his blood is considered rarer even for a marechi as it can intoxicate demons and disrupt their senses and movement speed.
- Sanemi always keeps his uniform open, as he is proud of his muscles.
- Sanemi shares the same listed height and weight as Muzan Kibutsuji.
- Sanemi owns a Japanese rhinoceros beetle.
- Sanemi lost his index and middle finger on his right hand during the battle against Kokushibo.
- Sanemi viewed the other Hashira as follows:
- "I talk to her every now and then (since she's Kanae's little sister)." - Insect Hashira
- "He's alright. He often acts like an older brother." - Sound Hashira
- "Don't like her as much (her idiotic side is hard to deal with)." - Love Hashira
- "I respect him." - Stone Hashira
- "I hate him (sick and tired of his "I'm not like you guys" attitude)." - Water Hashira
- "I like him. He's a good guy." - Flame Hashira
- "I haven't talked with him as much." - Mist Hashira
- "I get along well with him the most." - Serpent Hashira
- Sanemi's level of openness is ranked as 60%.
- Sanemi is the most feared Hashira among the Demon Slayer Corps.
- He once saw Maeda Masao (one of the uniform makers) sexually harassing a female slayer. With only his yell, Sanemi was able to make Maeda wet his pants.
- In Kimetsu Academy, Sanemi is a math teacher. He always keeps his collar open and never buttons up for important family celebrations.
- One of his students once said that "Nobody needs math in the future.", to which he responded by throwing said student out the classroom window. This became known as the Smash Bros. Incident.
- He's very kind to elders, women, and children. Though kids tend to cry when he accompanies them.
- (To Kokushibo, after he identifies Sanemi as the Wind Hashira) "That's right! And that wind... is going to wrench off your head!"
- (To Genya Shinazugawa) "Why do you think I went so far as to kill our mother? To protect you. You should have had a house somewhere and raised a family and grow old. To make up for what I couldn't do for mother and our little brothers and little sisters, you should have had a wife and children and made them happy. And I would've never... let a demon get near you." 
- (To Kiriya Ubuyashiki) "We don't need any of your gratitude! The biggest reason why the Demon Slayers stayed together is because of the efforts of the Ubuyashiki family!"