|“||Killing humans is... unforgivable.||”|
Tanjiro Kamado (
Tanjiro is a young man who is short for his age, with rather tanned skin and an athletic physique. He possesses ruffled black hair with burgundy tips, combed back to expose his forehead, and wide, dark eyes with white pupils that appear dark purple around the lower section of their irises. He also has a birthmark on the top left of his forehead, which originally looked somewhat like a graze until his fight with the Hand Demon during the Final Selection Arc, after which it appears more like a large, dark red scar. It is noted that his hands are visibly tougher than someone his age's should be as a result of his rigorous training under Sakonji Urokodaki.
Tanjiro's first appearance shows him wearing a checkered, dark-turquoise-and-black patterned haori over a white robe and black pants, with circular, white bands looped around his calves. He occasionally sports a blue scarf. He also wears a pair of hanafuda earrings, decorated by a white and red flower.
During the Final Selection, Tanjiro wears a blue, cloud-patterened jinbei-styled kimono and black pants, nearly identical to Sakonji's outfit. He still wears his hanafuda earrings. Similar to the rest of the apprentices that were trained under Sakonji, Tanjiro wears a hand-carved fox mask crafted from his master on the side of his head. The mask has red eyes, ears, and spots on each end of its mouth. On the upper right corner of the mask, a red, sun-shaped design is decorated that likely symbolizes the scar on his forehead.
After becoming a Demon Slayer, Tanjiro keeps his signature hanafuda earrings on his ears and checkered haori over the standard Demon Slayer uniform, which consists of a dark-brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist, and baggy pants that extend into tabi socks as well as zōri, with bands of white cloth wrapped tightly around his calves. He carries a large wooden box on his back, where his sister sleeps during the day.
He loses his right eye in his second encounter with Muzan.
Tanjiro is kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes. He exhibits a great deal of determination and will not give up once he has a goal to achieve; the best example of this being his relentless quest to find a cure for Nezuko. Even though he is relatively strong on his own, Tanjiro isn't opposed to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. However, despite his kind and understanding nature, Tanjiro does have a limit to his tolerance and has a distaste for rudeness, as he easily becomes annoyed by Zenitsu Agatsuma's constant whining, and angered by Inosuke Hashibira's barbaric actions.
Tanjiro's most notable attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even demons, which often made him hesitate before delivering the final blow. This moment of hesitation has a downside, as it has allowed some Demons to take advantage of Tanjiro's understanding nature to recover and continue the fight, though this occurs rarely. However, as Tanjiro gains experience over the years of his service, he becomes more calculating and strict in his decisions. His courage to protect the weak commits him to face his enemy with respect and dignity, whether versus good people or evil Demons.
Abilities and Powers
- Enhanced Sense of Smell: Tanjiro has had a heightened sense of smell even before he underwent sword training. It is strong enough for him to smell the 'line of interval'—the slight pause in an enemy's movement which allows him an opening in which to strike—and distinguish between species, as well as their approximate position. After training this skill during his time as a Demon Hunter, Tanjiro has acquired the ability to smell emotions as well as track objects, humans and demons over long distances. During his training with Yoriichi Zeroshiki, Tanjiro awakened the ability to predict movements from his opponents through smell, which can be detected faster than the 'line of interval'.
- Fighting ability: This trait of Tanjiro's was pointed out by Giyu Tomioka during their first encounter, in which Tanjiro skilfully laid out a plan to attack Giyu by surprise by charging towards him, not showing the Demon Hunter that he was unarmed, and bring down Giyu with an axe he had thrown in the air beforehand. The attack failed, but Giyu was still very impressed by Tanjiro's plan, especially considering he was a rookie at the time.
- Enhanced strength: After his training at Sagiri Mountain, Tanjiro has gained immense strength and speed and has demonstrated a great use of it, as seen when he jumped twice his height over the Hand Demon, who killed Sakonji's disciples, during Final Selection. His forehead is noted to be unusually sturdy as well, since he's able with it to injure Sanemi Shinazugawa, the Wind Pillar and even momentarily stun Gyutaro, an Upper Moon Six.
- Immense Speed: After awakening his Demon Slayer mark, Tanjiro becomes extremely fast. This is shown during his fight with Akaza, in which he's able to move fast enough to cut off the Demon's head without giving him any time to react, despite him being on guard.
- Immense Reflexes:By awakening his Demon Slayer mark, Tanjiro possesses extremely fast and quick reflexes being able to Dodge all Daki upper moon 6 attacks without scratch and is able to dodge Akaza's End Style: Chaotic Blue Metal Afterglow, the Demon's strongest Blood Demon Technique, without so much as a scratch.
- See-Through World: Like his father, he gained the ability to foresee the opponent's attack while showing no battle spirit and sense of blood-lust, gaining immunity from anyone who can sense these.
- Demon Slayer Mark: Tanjiro awakened his mark for the first time while fighting Daki, an Upper Moon Six, and once again while fighting Akaza, Upper Moon Three. This state increases his strength, speed and reaction time drastically. He becomes capable of easily dodging and countering Daki's attacks, without her being able to injure him at all. In his fight against Akaza, he is able to dodge Akaza's End Style: Chaotic Blue Metal Afterglow, which Giyu's Eleventh Style failed to counter. His speed becomes fast enough to cut off Akaza's head, without the latter being able to react, and likely would have killed Akaza if he hadn't have overcome the weakness of being decapitated by a Nichirin Blade. The only drawback is that Tanjiro can only enter this state on rare occasions, and can only use it for a very short period of time since it causes exhaustion to his body, as shown in his battles against Akaza and Daki.
Breath of Water (
- First Style: Water Surface Slash (
壱ノ 型 水 面 斬り Ichi no kata: Minamo giri?): A single concentrated slash.
- Second Style: Water Wheel (
弐ノ 型 水 車Ni no kata: Mizu guruma?): Tanjiro jumps and spins his body while slashing.
- Third Style: Dance of the Rapid Current (
参ノ 型 流 流 舞い San no kata: Ryūryū mai?): Tanjiro swings his blade at his opponent in a way that mimics the movement of waves on the surface of water.
- Fourth Style: Striking Tide (
肆ノ 型 打ち 潮Shi no kata: Uchishio?): Tanjiro makes multiple consecutive slashes, while twisting his body in a flowing fashion similar to a harsh tide.
- Fifth Style: The Merciful Rain of a Dry Day/Blessed Rain After the Drought (
伍ノ 型 干 天の 慈 雨Go no kata: Kanten no jiu?): A "sword strike of kindness" that beheads the target with little to no pain. Tanjiro uses this when the enemy surrenders him/herself willingly.
- Sixth Style: Twisting Whirpool (
陸ノ 型ねじれ 渦Roku no kata: Nejire uzu?): Tanjiro fiercely twists his upper and lower body, which creates a spin that cuts anything caught in it. Can be used in a place without footing, and if used underwater can generate a large whirlpool that draws in anything nearby in addition to cutting them up like a large blade.
- Seventh Style: Piercing Rain Drop (
漆ノ 型 雫 波 紋 突き Shichi no kata: Shizuku hamon tsuki?): A fast and accurate stab. The fastest Breath of Water technique.
- Eight Style: Waterfall Jar (
捌ノ 型 滝 壷Hachi no kata: Takitsubo?): Tanjiro cuts the target vertically.
- Ninth Style: Water Splash (
玖ノ 型 水 流 飛沫Ku no kata: Suiryū shibuki?): This move minimizes the landing time and surface needed when landing, allowing Tanjiro to move without limits. It is ideal when fighting in a place with no solid foothold.
- Ninth Style: Water Splash - Chaos (
玖ノ 型 水 流 飛沫・ 乱Ku no kata: Suiryū shibuki - ran?)
- Ninth Style: Water Splash - Chaos (
- Tenth Style: The Dragon of Change (
拾ノ 型 生 生 流 転Jū no kata: Seisei ruten?): A constant attack that increases in power with each rotation, creating a strong slash.
Dance of the Fire God (ヒノカミ
- Waltz (
円 舞Enbu?): A single concentrated slash.
- Waltz Flash (
円 舞 一 閃Enbu Issen?): Tanjiro utilises Zenitsu's Thunderclap Flash and combines it with his Waltz by pumping air through his entire body, focusing it on the legs, and releasing it all, while ending with a flaming slash. The technique was capable of out-speeding Genya Shinazugawa and Nezuko, as well as the fleeing Hantengu, although it is still slower than Zenitsu's Thunderclap Flash.
- Waltz Flash (
- Blue Heaven (
碧 羅の 天Heki-ra no ten?): A similar attack to "Water Wheel" in which Tanjiro spins his body to create a 360-degree slash.
- Scorching Crimson Mirror (
烈 日 紅 鏡Retsujitsu kōkyō?): Tanjiro unleashes two horizontal slashes that defend him from attacks from the front or side.
- Flame Waltz (
炎 舞Enbu?): A two-combo strike which starts with a vertical slash and then a horizontal one right after.
- Parhelion Rainbow (
幻 日 虹Gen'nichi kō?): Tanjiro uses this technique to evade techniques using high-speed twists and rotations. It works most effectively on enemies with good vision, as they will attack an afterimage of him and not his actual body.
- Fire Chariot (
火 車Kasha?): Tanjiro uses this technique in quick succession with Parhelion Rainbow and attacks the enemy while they are distracted.
- Burning Sun (
灼 骨 炎 陽Shyakkotsu en'yō?): A circular slash that defends from imminent frontal attacks.
- Sunflower Lance (
陽 華 突Yōkatotsu?): A single thrust attack with the sharp blade.
- Solar Halo Dragon Dance (
日 暈の 龍 頭 舞い Nichiun no Ryū Kaburimai?): A combination attack utilising Nezuko's Blood Burst, Tanjiro's sword adopts a red color and is coated in flames. While in this state, he circles the enemy in a pattern resembling a flaming dragon and slashes them multiple times, ultimately beheading them.
- Soaring Flame Haze (
飛 輪 陽 炎Hirin Kagerō?) - Tanjiro charges towards his opponent with a flame-cladded blade to slash them.
- The Setting Sun (
斜 陽 転 身Shayō Tenshin?) - Tanjiro flips into the air to deliver an upended flaming sword slash.
- Unknown 12th Form
- Unknown 13th Form
- Alone, the first kanji of Tanjiro's surname is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal-fuelled cookstove/furnace (
竈kama?), while the second means "door" ( 門do?). His first name contains the kanji for "charcoal" ( 炭tan?), "to heal" ( 治ji?) and "son, male" ( 郎rō?), which is also a common male name suffix.
- The second character could also refer to 退治 (hiragana たいじ, rōmaji taiji), which refers to the exorcism of Demons.
- Tanjiro was ranked in 1st place as of the first character popularity poll with 6,742 votes.
- Tanjiro shares his Japanese and English voice actors with Sieg, the protagonist of Fate/Apocrypha.
- (To Muzan Kibutsuji) "Muzan Kibutsuji! No matter where you go, you're not getting away! I'll follow you to the ends of Hell, and I swear I'll slice off your head with my blade! I'll never forgive you no matter what!"
- (To Giyu Tomioka) "To dispel the regrets of those killed, to stop any more victims from appearing, I will relentlessly wield my blade against the Demons, and that's a fact. But I will not trample on the pains of being a Demon. Nor on those who regret their own actions. Because demons were humans. Because they were humans like me."
- (To Sanemi Shinazugawa) "If you can't differentiate the good Demons from the bad ones, you should quit being a Pillar!!"
- (To Akaza) "The strong should aid and protect the weak. Then the weak will become strong, and in turn, they will aid and protect those weaker than them. That is the law of nature."