In order to soothe the spirits of those it killed, and to make sure it claims no further victims... I will swing my blade down and lop off the head of any demon without mercy! But... I will not belittle those who regret their actions and suffer over the things they did as demons. Because demons were once human. Because they were like me.
Tanjiro Kamado (
Before he became a Demon Slayer, his entire family was slaughtered by the Demon King, Muzan Kibutsuji, while his younger sister, Nezuko, was turned into a demon as a result.
Tanjiro is a muscular young man of average height with fairly tanned skin and an athletic physique. He has ruffled, black hair with burgundy tips, combed back to expose his forehead, and wide, dark red eyes with white pupils that appear lighter around the lower section of his irises. He also has a scar on the top left of his forehead, which he received when he protected his younger brother from a falling brazier. The scar originally looked somewhat like a graze until his fight with the Hand Demon during the Final Selection, after which it develops into a flame-like pattern as his Demon Slayer Mark. It is noted that his hands are visibly rougher for someone his age, as a result of his rigorous training under Sakonji Urokodaki. Tanjiro looks remarkably similar in appearance to his ancestor Sumiyoshi, possessing the same facial structure, eyes, and hairstyle as him, although Sumiyoshi's hair was longer, about shoulder-length and would be tied in a ponytail behind his head.
Tanjiro first appears wearing a checkered, black-and-sea-foam-green haori over a white robe and black pants. He occasionally sports a turquoise scarf and is seen with circular, white bands looped around his calves. He also wears a distinct pair of hanafuda earrings, with the image of the rising sun over a mountain. His hair is also kept tied back in small ponytail or bun; as he trains with Sabito and Makomo, his hair grows to his shoulders.
During the Final Selection, Tanjiro wears a blue, cloud-patterned jinbei-styled kimono and black pants, nearly identical to Sakonji's outfit. He still wears his hanafuda earrings, but his hair is cut extremely short and remains the same length since. Similar to the rest of the apprentices that were trained under Sakonji, Tanjiro wears a hand-carved fox mask crafted from his master on the left side of his head. The mask has red accents on the eyes, ears, and spots on each corner of its mouth. On the upper right corner of the mask, there is a sun-shaped design that likely symbolizes the scar on his forehead.
After becoming a Demon Slayer, Tanjiro wears the standard Demon Slayer uniform, a dark-brown gakuran jacket, a white belt, baggy pants that extend into tabi socks, a pair of zōri with red straps, and bands of white cloth wrapped tightly around his calves resembling Kyahan, all beneath his signature checkered haori. He carries a large wooden box on his back (which was a gift to him from Sakonji Urokodaki), where his sister sleeps as they travel during the day.
During his second encounter with Muzan Kibutsuji, he injures his right eye in the Infinity Castle. As the battle progresses, Tanjiro suddenly collapses and his wound begins to form a large mass over his right eye due to the poison inflicted on him by Muzan. Later on, when Tanjiro wakes up, he is described as looking 'repulsive' by Muzan. Later in the battle Tanjiro's left arm is severed by Muzan.
After being turned into a demon by Muzan, Tanjiro is able to heal the growth on his face as well as regenerate his lost arm and other smaller injuries. He obtains eyes with slit pupils, fangs and flame-shaped marks over his left forehead and right jaw that are reminiscent of those of Kokushibo, in addition to a third, smaller flame-shaped mark coming down from the right side of his head down to his eyebrow after he conquered the weakness to sunlight. His scar turns into a flame-pattern as if it were a permanent Demon Slayer Mark, has become longer and is the largest of the three, and all three marks vaguely point towards his nose, though only his scar-mark reaches it. He still dons his bloodstained corps uniform, one sleeve ripped off where his arm was severed, but loses his checkered haori and the Nichirin Blade at his hip.
After returning to his human form, Tanjiro loses the ability to see from his right eye, the iris of which is now a dull pink-gray color and the pupil black rather than its original white. His left arm, which he regrew as a Demon, now takes the appearance of that which an older person may have, becoming wrinkled and skeletal, and he loses all feeling in it below the elbow and thus the ability to move it from his forearm down.
Tanjiro is very kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes and a compassionate persona. He exhibits a great deal of determination and will not give up once he has a goal to achieve; the best example of this being his relentless quest to find a cure for Nezuko. Even though he is relatively strong on his own, Tanjiro isn't opposed to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. However, despite his kind and understanding nature, Tanjiro does have a limit to his tolerance and has a distaste for rudeness and cowardice as he easily becomes annoyed by Zenitsu Agatsuma's constant whining, and angered by Inosuke Hashibira's barbaric actions.
Under Tanjiro's rather kind and friendly shell, is a person with a growing fire of rage and vengeance inside of them. This side of him leaks out when Tanjiro first confronts Muzan, ready to take out his sword and attack him. When Muzan escapes, Tanjiro releases his frustration and declares he will be the one to kill Muzan. In another event, when the Demon Slayers have their necks snapped by the Mother Spider Demon's threads, Tanjiro shows noticeable anger that even Inosuke senses. This side of Tanjiro is fully exemplified after Muzan's speech where he compares himself to a natural disaster. Tanjiro responds to that by calling Muzan "a being that should not exist." In the face or irrational evil. Tanjiro shows a more cold and terrifying side of him, acting more violent towards his opponents as a result.
Tanjiro's most notable attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even demons, which often makes him hesitate before delivering the final blow. Tanjiro has a unique ideology regarding demons, believing that those that have committed evil should be killed without mercy, but those that regret their actions should not be belittled after their deaths, showing great nuance and maturity in Tanjiro's thinking, probably brought about by his sister. However, as Tanjiro gains experience over the years of his service, he becomes more calculating and strict in his decisions. His courage to protect the weak commits him to face his enemy with respect and dignity, whether versus good people or evil demons. Tanjiro is adamant about serving justice to the evil, by any means necessary, even declaring to cut off the heads of demons who have committed heinous crimes and confronting them about their inhumane mindset and their criminal deeds.
As a demon, Tanjiro appeared to be mindless, like most initially are following their transformation. He acted like a feral beast, attacking anyone in sight without any hesitation. Not even his friends and comrades were safe. The one exception was Nezuko, who he refused to harm even after tasting her blood; a possible sign that he was fighting his transformation. His hostility towards the Demon Slayers might also have been due to his mind being affected by Muzan's desire to kill all Demon Slayers.
Overall Abilities: From the start, Tanjiro was shown to be a prodigious fighter, having a strong natural aptitude for combat, especially in swordsmanship. Tanjiro was already introduced to have superhuman characteristics, like extraordinary senses, a heightened sense of smell, immense willpower and great intellect. His naturally obtained abilities go so far as to allow him to outsmart and catch Giyu Tomioka, one of the most powerful Demon Slayers, off guard and nearly land a fatal blow on him with nothing but his intense emotions. Just after learning Water Breathing and taking the Final Selection, he was able to easily take down many low-level demons without the help of others, even those that possessed Blood Demon Arts and were formely members of the Twelve Kizuki, namely the Swamp Demon and Kyogai. After recalling the Hinokami Kagura, he learned from his father as a child, he would've defeated Rui, Lower Rank Five, if Rui hadn't cut off his own head prior, a feat which many believed only a Hashira could do. What's most impressive about Tanjiro is his unprecedented growth rate even in the midst of battle, something that shocked Sekido and allowed him to fight Upper Rank demons after facing Lower Ranked members a few months prior. His strength further increased upon awakening his Demon Slayer Mark and training even further, Tanjiro has proven to be able to hold his own against even the Upper Ranks like Akaza, with Giyu acknowledged to be of the same caliber of the Hashira. Despite being poisoned by Muzan , Tanjiro was able to fight against Muzan by himself, who had just single-handedly defeated all five remaining Hashira along with Zenitsu and Inosuke. Muzan expressed feelings of unease towards Tanjiro due to the similarities between him and Yoriichi, the strongest Demon Slayer and swordsman to ever exist, showing his immense power. At the end of the series, despite not becoming the strongest Demon Slayer, one cannot deny his extraordinary strength and growth during the course of his journey.
Demon Slayer Mark: Tanjiro awakens his mark for the first time while fighting Upper Rank Six, Gyutaro, and once again against the split forms of Hantengu, the Upper Rank Four. Later, the mark reappears during his rematch against Upper Rank 3, Akaza. In his marked state, Tanjiro's strength, speed and reaction time increase drastically. In his fight with Akaza, after gaining access to the Transparent World in addition to his Demon Slayer mark, Tanjiro is able to move fast enough to cut off Akaza's head without giving him any time to react, a move which would've killed Akaza if it wasn't for him overcoming his weakness to Nichirin Blade decapitation. However, it should be noted Akaza's compass detection ability relied on him sensing battle spirit from his opponent, and Tanjiro was able to show no battle spirit while performing this attack. The drawback to his marked state is that Tanjiro can only enter it on rare occasions, and he can only use it for a very short period since it causes exhaustion to his body as proven in his battles against the Upper Ranks.
- Bright Red Nichirin Blade: Tanjiro first unlocked this ability after Nezuko Kamado lit his sword on fire using her pyrokinetic Blood Demon Art, which gave him an edge over Hantengu's clones. During his second battle against Muzan, Tanjiro gains the ability to dye his Nichirin blade in a bright red color by himself after nearly dying and later awakened it one final time with the help of Giyu to drive Muzan into a corner and hamper his instantaneous regeneration.
- Transparent World: Like his father, he gained the ability to foresee the opponent's attack by analyzing and percieve his opponents' blood flow, muscles, skeletal/joint alignment and organs. In this state, his movement intuition and evasion speed increased dramatically. He accessed this state by remembering his father's words and used it in the midst of battle to defeat Akaza. Although he has learnt how to use it, he is not completely proficient in it as shown when he had trouble perceiving it during his fight against Muzan.
Enhanced Accuracy: Even before he trained to become a Demon Slayer, Tanjiro had impeccable aim and precision. This was shown when he outsmarted Giyu and threw his hatchet into the air at a perfect trajectory such that he it would strike his head. Later on, as Akaza was escaping into the forest, Tanjiro flung his katana with incredible precision over a long distance until it pierced the Upper Rank's body. Tanjiro also displayed his great precision against Muzan, where Tanjiro was able to aim and throw a barrage of swords at the Demon King with perfect accuracy.
Enhanced Smell: Tanjiro possesses a heightened sense of smell bordering into supernatural territory. Even before becoming a Demon Slayer, Tanjiro was known in a village as the boy who has an extremely strong sense of smell. He is able to pick up even the most subtle of scents and track their location with terrifying accuracy over long distances. It is strong enough for him to smell the 'opening thread', the slight pause in an enemy's movement which allows him an opening in which to strike.
- Extrasensory Perception: Through his superhuman senses, Tanjiro can perceive things outside the normal range of perception like the intentions, feelings, and thoughts of other creatures, even of animals such as insects and birds. He can also sense the aura and presences of demons and even tell their strength level at a glance. This allows him to discern humans from demons over a long range, with the more powerful demons having a more disgusting, overwhelming and malicious scent than other weaker demons.
- Pseudo-Precognition: When training with Yoriichi Type Zero, Tanjiro's sense of smell evolved further to be able to predict future movements, actions and intentions of others merely through scent, even of non-living things like Yoriichi Type Zero itself. Tanjiro noted that the smell of the future was different and much faster compared to the smell of the 'opening thread', giving him the reflexes and movements comparable to a Hashira and allowing to go toe to toe with Hantengu's clones early on.
Enhanced Strength: After his training at Sagiri Mountain, Tanjiro has gained superhuman arm and leg strength and has demonstrated a great use of it, jumping over the humongous Hand Demon, and leaping over buildings effortlessly. Tanjiro also broke Genya Shinazugawa's Arm and Inosuke Hashibira's ribs when he was angered and send him flying with a few punches. With his katana, he could slice through gigantic boulders and entire trees and later cut off Akaza's head, a feat which even Kyojuro Rengoku couldn't accomplish when severely injured. When he was posing as a courtesan, he was shown to carry dozens of large boxes easily and when he was angered, he ripped of an Upper Rank's leg. When he was training with Gyomei Himejima, he was tasked with lifting 3 enormous logs on his back and push a boulder through town.
Genius Intellect: Tanjiro is incredibly analytical and sagacious, as well as showing a natural aptitude and innate intuition in many varied areas. Even against opponents that heavily outmatch him in multiple categories, Tanjiro is capable of creating strategies to beat an opponent on the fly and in danger even if it results in his own death. Upon seeing a fighting style once, Tanjiro can analyze it, and it’s even possible for him to accomplish such a feat even in the midst of a constantly shifting location where he lacks any environmental advantage or benefit. Has been noted to be very adaptive against any opponent as well as explosive growth rate. Furthermore, he is an expert at using his opponent's abilities against them. Even if the opponent offers no real details or specifics on their power, Tanjiro can pick up subtle phrases and words used throughout their fights to deduce the ability in a short amount of time. He's even conjured new abilities, even new Breathing Styles and utilized them effectively upon using them once, even able to combine techniques despite not being fully proficient in one of them.
- Combat Intuition: This trait of Tanjiro's was pointed out by Giyu during their first encounter, in which Tanjiro skillfully laid out a plan to attack Giyu by surprise by charging towards him, not showing the Demon Hunter that he was unarmed, and bring down Giyu with a hatchet he had thrown in the air beforehand. The attack failed, but Giyu was still very impressed by Tanjiro's plan, especially considering he was a rookie at the time. Furthermore, Tanjiro also showed proficiency in hand-to-hand combat despite never practicing martial arts before, allowing him to hold his own and adapt instantly to Inosuke Hashibira's animalistic unarmed fighting style.
Hard Skull: Tanjiro has a strong skull, which the Temple Demon compares to a rock. During certain situations, he can headbutt the opponent hard enough to stun them or knock them out completely, in some situations even cause their head to bleed upon impact. Managing to hit the Temple Demon twice in a row without being stunned shows he is capable of doing it more than once. The full power of this attack is shown to give Inosuke a delayed concussion while Tanjiro suffered no backlash from it. Tanjiro also head-butted the Wind Hashira, Sanemi Shinazugawa, having temporarily stunned him, leaving the other Hashira impressed by its durability.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: Tanjiro possesses superhuman speed and reaction time, being able to travel faster than the eye can see and even move faster than Sabito, an extremely skilled sword master, and react to the blinding movement speeds of demons even before he started using Total Concentration Breathing (
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Tanjiro has incredible stamina and endurance, even before he became a Demon Slayer, showed when he had to train in a mountain will little to no oxygen for many days, dodging booby traps, climbing up and and down it, and improving his swordsmanship skills and physique all while under these harsh conditions. His stamina and endurance was further improved having mastered Total Concentration: Constant (
Indomitable Will: Tanjiro possesses an undaunted will and spirit, being able to fight and engage in battle against enemies stronger than him with his sheer will alone to kill Demons and protect his sister even when he sustained severe injuries and wounds. The death of his family also played a big role in his insurmountable willpower, his visions of his family members urging him on during times of crisis, allowing him to pull through any hardship. During the Natagumo Mountain Arc, Tanjiro was willing to sacrifice his life for his sister, relying on nothing but sheer determination to fight through Rui's attacks to kill him. When he was fighting Enmu, he displayed his supernatural willpower by committing suicide relentlessly in his dreams in order to awake from the demon's sleep spell, a feat which even Enmu thought was insane. After Kyojuro Rengoku passed on, his final words and actions had a major impact on Tanjiro's mindset and willpower, increasing it to unprecedented levels, shown when he didn't give up no matter how hopeless a situation is, in the face of Upper Rank demons, no less. His spirit also played a big role in the final moments of Muzan Kibutsuji's death, where his will allowed him to overcome his blood and return to becoming human.
Repetitive Action: A technique practiced by few members in the Corps, it allows a person to achieve the same effects as Total Concentration Breathing by using repeating pre-set movements or remembering intense feelings to open the five senses and raise their concentration, drawing out the physical powers of the body for a long extended period. It is possible to use both Repetitive Action and Total Concentration Breathing simultaneously, granting the user immense strength able to rival Upper Rank demons. Tanjiro learned this technique after consulting Genya Shinazugawa. He raises his concentration to its maximum limits by remembering the faces of his loved ones and repeatedly recalling Kyojuro Rengoku's phrase "Set your heart ablaze."
Selfless State: As he unlocked the Transparent World, Tanjiro also learned the ability to completely erase his presence from the battlefield from his father, including all his fighting spirit. This ability allowed Tanjiro to completely negate/bypass Akaza's extrasensory perception thanks to his Technique Development, Destructive Death: Compass Needle technique and decapitate him. This technique can also mask one's intent to kill and malice, allowing them to fight undetectable on against enemies' that rely on sensing one's intention to fight.
Master Swordsman: Tanjiro has always been a sword-fighting prodigy, starting out with skill rivaling Sabito, one of Sakonji Urokodaki's strongest students and surpassing him in a few months time and avenging his death by defeating the Hand Demon. Despite being Mizunoto-ranked, his skill with the sword was superior to many of his seniors, even to the point of defeating two Lower Ranked members of the Twelve Kizuki. His improvement in swordsmanship is also exceptional, shown when he could take on Upper Rank demons months after recovering from injuries and not having experience in fighting enemies of that caliber in the past. Mitsuri Kanroji even commented that accomplishing such feat was equivalent to harsh training for 4 years. With intensive training in the Swordsmith Village, his skills and prowess with the blade could match that of the Hashira, the most powerful sword wielders in the entirety of the Demon Slayer Corps. He later could go toe to toe with Muzan, showing his immense proficiency in the blade, thus making him possibly one of the strongest swordsman of the current generation.
Water Breathing (
- First Form: Water Surface Slash (
壱ノ 型 水 面 斬り Ichi no kata: Minamo Giri?) - The user generates enough momentum to create a powerful single concentrated slash.
- Second Form: Water Wheel (
弐ノ 型 水 車Ni no kata: Mizu Guruma?) - The user leaps and vertically spins forward in the air while releasing a flowing attack in a circular motion.
- Third Form: Flowing Dance (
参ノ 型 流 流 舞い San no kata: Ryūryū Mai?) - The user swings and bends their blade in a winding motion along with their body and dances in a flowing pattern, slicing everything in its path.
- Fourth Form: Striking Tide (
肆ノ 型 打ち 潮Shi no kata: Uchishio?) - The user makes multiple consecutive slashes while twisting their body and sword in a flowing fashion to deliver multiple blows simultaneously.
- Fifth Form: Blessed Rain After the Drought (
伍ノ 型 干 天の 慈 雨Go no kata: Kanten no Jiu?) - The user changes the grip on their sword and decapitates the opponent in a single flowing strike that causes little to no pain. It is a “sword strike of kindness” used when the enemy willingly surrenders.
- Sixth Form: Whirlpool (
陸ノ 型ねじれ 渦Roku no kata: Nejire Uzu?) - The user fiercely twists their upper and lower body, creating a whirlpool of air that cuts anything caught in it. Its effect and efficiently is enhanced underwater, where the user can draw water around their weapon to enhance their slashes.
- Whirlpool, Flow (ねじれ
渦・ 流 流Nejire Uzu - Ryūryū?) - A combination of Third Form: Flowing Dance and Sixth Form: Whirlpool created by Tanjiro Kamado. The user combines the footwork from Flowing Dance and the twisting movements of Whirlpool, resulting in the swordsman to perform an attack around the user and conjure a twisting, swirling, vicious flow of water to redirect projectiles from multiple angles.
- Whirlpool, Flow (ねじれ
- Seventh Form: Drop Ripple Thrust (
漆ノ 型 雫 波 紋 突き Shichi no kata: Shizuku Hamon Tsuki?) - The user performs a fast and accurate stab, capable of reducing the impact of a moving target.
- Eighth Form: Waterfall Basin (
捌ノ 型 滝 壼Hachi no kata: Takitsubo?) - The user cuts the target vertically in a flowing motion which is most effective when they are falling downward.
- Ninth Form: Splashing Water Flow, Turbulent (
玖ノ 型 水 流 飛沫・ 乱Ku no kata: Suiryū Shibuki - Ran?) - The user changes their footwork in a way that minimizes the landing time and surface needed when landing, allowing the user to move without limits. Ideal when fighting in a place with no solid foothold.
- Tenth Form: Constant Flux (
拾ノ 型 生 生 流 転Jū no kata: Seisei Ruten?) - The user performs a continuous flowing attack which seemingly takes the form of a water dragon that increases in strength and power with each rotation due to momentum.
Hinokami Kagura (ヒノカミ
- Dance (
円 舞Enbu?) - The user delivers a single high-powered vertical slash.
- Dancing Flash (
円 舞 一 閃Enbu Issen?) - A modified version of Dance developed and utilized only by Tanjiro Kamado. The user infuses the Thunderclap and Flash technique of Thunder Breathing into the high-powered slash of Dance by inhaling huge amounts of oxygen, increasing the pumping of blood through the entire body, focusing it on the legs, and releasing it all to assault the target with a slash. This technique was capable of outspeeding Genya Shinazugawa, Nezuko Kamado, as well as the fleeing Hantengu. This technique is said to be slower than Zenitsu Agatsuma's Thunderclap and Flash.
- Dancing Flash (
- Clear Blue Sky (
碧 羅の 天Heki-ra no Ten?) - The user spins their body vertically to deliver a 360° slash.
- Raging Sun (
烈 日 紅 鏡Retsujitsu Kōkyō?) - The user unleashes two horizontal slashes to hit or defend from incoming attacks.
- Burning Bones, Summer Sun (
灼 骨 炎 陽Shakkotsu En'yō?) - The user unleashes a large circular slash that defends from imminent frontal attacks.
- Setting Sun Transformation (
斜 陽 転 身Shayō Tenshin?) The user backflips into the air to deliver a powerful upended sword slash.
- Solar Heat Haze (
飛 輪 陽 炎Hirin Kagerō?) - The user charges towards the target, unleashing a horizontal slash seemingly covered in haze that fails to land, but actually does hit the target.
- Beneficent Radiance (
輝 輝 恩 光Kiki Onkō?) - The user spirals into the air and delivers a powerful slash that surrounds the enemy.
- Sunflower Thrust (
陽 華 突Yōkatotsu?) - The user unleashes a single thrust attack with the point of the blade.
- Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance (
日 暈の 龍・ 頭 舞い Nichiun no Ryū Kaburimai?) - The user unleashes a continuous fast and powerful sword attack that seemingly takes the form of a flaming sun dragon. This technique is capable of decapitating multiple enemies at once.
- Fire Wheel (
火 車Kasha?) - The user leaps behind the opponent and spins in the air downward, releasing a sword attack in a circular motion.
- Fake Rainbow (
幻 日 虹Gen'nichi Kō?) - The user performs high-speed twists and rotations, thus creating afterimages used mostly to evade attacks. The afterimages work most effectively on enemies with good vision.
- Flame Dance (
炎 舞Enbu?) - A two-combo strike which starts with a vertical slash and then a horizontal one right after.
- Thirteenth Form (
拾 参ノ 型Jū San no kata?) - The user continuously performs all twelve forms of Sun Breathing in repetitive succession to increase the accuracy and agility of his movements while reducing fatigue. This form was created solely for the purpose of killing Muzan, since the repetition of all twelve forms aims to destroy Muzan's twelve vital organs (seven hearts and five brains) that move freely inside his body thanks to his shape-shifting ability.
Game Exclusive Techniques
- Cross Slash (
弐 連 袈 裟 斬り Nirenkesa Giri?) - The user ignites their sword with solar flames and releases two arching flame slashes before delivering a forward "X" shaped slice to their opponent.
- Scorching Rush (
早 駆け 斬り Hayagake Giri?) - The user rushes forward at blinding speeds with a flaming sword and performs a 5-move combo as follows: a low-ended strike, a spinning wave attack, a powerful forward thrust, an upward slash and finally a downward slash.
- Phoenix Flash (
瞬 転 斬り Shunten Giri?) - The user jumps in the air doing a flip while performing an angled 360° sword slash.
Standard Nichirin Katana: As a Demon Slayer, Tanjiro carries around a standard sized and shaped Nichirin katana that is deep black in color, but changes bright red either with Nezuko Kamado's Blood Demon Art or because of he actively turns it bright red through his Demon Slayer Mark. His blade also has the words Destroy (
Overall Abilities: Tanjiro is later transformed into a demon by Muzan Kibutsuji as his last-ditch attempt at living on even after being killed by the Demon Slayer Corps; Muzan hoped to pass his feelings and abilities onto Tanjiro, deeming him capable of fulfilling his legacy and becoming the Demon King. Although Tanjiro is quickly reverted back into a human via Tamayo's humanizing drug, the power he demonstrated during this brief time as a demon appeared to be at least the level of strength in between Lower and Upper Rank demons.
It was later stated by Yushiro that, in terms of biological potential, Tanjiro's potential to evolve as a demon was a lot higher than his sister's, who was the first demon to develop a resistance to sunlight, and even Muzan's, the first and progenitor of all demons, implying that, if Tanjiro willingly assimilated Muzan's blood, he would grow into a being stronger than the Demon King himself, and possibly Yoriichi Tsugikuni as a result.
Nigh-Absolute Regeneration: Upon assimilating the blood of the Demon King, a being who possesses the fastest and most powerful regenerative power in the world, Tanjiro's regenerative abilities surpassed that of all other demons that existed. Even Giyu Tomioka noted that this ability, coupled with his immunity to sunlight, makes him a being who is practically invincible to all forms of physical harm.
Sunlight Resistance: After he first transforms, Tanjiro is initially affected by sunlight as any normal demon would be, however he quickly develops a resistance to it and is soon able to move around in broad daylight without taking any damage. It's possible that he's able to do this because, as noted by Muzan right before his death, he shares blood with Nezuko, a demon who conquered the sun, and his abilities appear to stem from her own. Giyu claimed that, with his immunity to the sun, along with his enhanced regeneration, Tanjiro is practically invincible.
Biokinesis: As Tanjiro assimilated Muzan's blood, he will subsequently gain most of his Blood Demon Arts. One ability he has displayed is his power to manipulate all the properties of his body similar to the Demon King.
- Shapeshifting: Tanjiro has displayed shapeshifting abilities similar to Muzan. He can grow spine-like protrusions from his back that extend into bladed, whip-like tentacles that drastically increase his attack range. However, likely due to his mindless state, Tanjiro hasn't displayed the same skill at wielding them as Muzan.
Fighting Style (Demon)
Shockwave Scream: Similar to Muzan, and likely because he inherited his blood, Tanjiro's screams can create a powerful energy and lightning-like shockwave. The technique is powerful enough to blow away Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Goto while they tried to restrain him, with only Nezuko able to hold on. He has also used this ability to generate a shockwave reminiscent of an energy beam powerful enough to create a small crater in the ground.
- His first name contains the kanji for "charcoal" (炭 tan?), "to heal" (治 ji?) and "son, male" (郎 rō?), which is also a common masculine name suffix. The first kanji of Tanjiro's surname translates to a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal-fuelled cookstove/furnace (竈 kama?), while the second kanji means "door" (門 do?).
- The second character could also reference (退治 taiji?), which refers to the exorcism of Demons.
- Tanjiro's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Tanjiro ranked 1st place in the first popularity poll with 6,742 votes.
- Tanjiro ranked 4th place in the second popularity poll with 9,045 votes.
- Tanjiro shares his Japanese and English voice actors with Sieg, the protagonist of Fate/Apocrypha.
- When Tanjiro lies, he can't keep a straight face due to his honest nature.
- Tanjiro inherited his hard forehead from his mother.
- Tanjiro has been incorrectly dubbed as Gonpachiro Kamaboko (
蒲 鉾 権 八 郎Kamaboko Gonpachirō?), Gengoro Shakariki (しゃかりき 源 五 郎Shakariki Gengorō?), Tontaro Itadaki ( 頂き 豚 太 郎Itadaki Tontarō?), Kanjiro Anago ( 穴 子 勘 治 郎Anago Kanjiro?), Tangoro Hamado ( 竈門 丹 五 郎Hamado Tangorō?), Jangoro Amado ( 雨戸じゃん 五 郎Amado Jangorō?), Monjiro ( 文 治 郎Monjirō?), Kentaro ( 健 太 郎Kentarō?), Santaro ( 三 太 郎Santarō?) and Sochiro ( 装 置 郎Sōchirō?) by Inosuke.
- In Inosuke's dream he was named Ponjiro (ポン
治 郎Ponjirō?) as a racoon.
- In Inosuke's dream he was named Ponjiro (ポン
- Tanjiro is one of the few characters to have their Nichirin Blade change appearance.
- Apparently, Tanjiro is able to understand what birds are saying.
- Tanjiro was dubbed as the Most Polite Man in Kimetsu Academy.
- Tanjiro's penpals are Sakonji, Senjuro, the courtesans from the Entertainment District, Giyu (who never writes back) and Tengen.
- Tanjiro is tone deaf.
- Tanjiro is the vocalist of "Stylish Scruffy Democracy" band composed of Zenitsu (Shamisen and Song writer), Inosuke (Taiko Drums), and Tengen (Harmonica). "Exploding skin and the melancholy of modern smell" is their debut song that made everyone who heard it feel dizzy and vomit non-stop.
- Tanjiro is widely known as a tragic hero causes of his tragic events following their deaths; likely his family and Kyojuro Rengoku.
- Tanjiro is the second best at waking up in the morning out of the Kimetsu no Yaiba cast, with Kyojuro being the first. Tanjiro will either wake up at the time he intended to or he'll wake up quickly if someone says something to him.
- Tanjiro tends to have a lot of dreams about battles and training. In his dreams he is constantly ruminating about what didn't go well, and he analyses how to do it better next time, and he sees a lot of ways to work with situations you can expect in battle. His dreams feel pretty clear and realistic.
- (To Muzan Kibutsuji) "Muzan Kibutsuji! No matter where you go, I promise you won't escape me! You can run as far as you want! I'll follow you to the ends of Hell, and my blade will be the last thing you see! I'll never forgive you for what you've done!"
- (To Rui) "The bond between Nezuko and me... cannot be... severed by anyone!"
- (To Giyu Tomioka) "In order to soothe the spirits of those it killed, and to make sure it claims no further victims... I will swing my blade down and lop of the head of any demon without mercy! But I will not belittle those who regret their actions... and suffer over the things they did as demons. Because demons were once human. Because they were like me."
- (To his family) "I wish I could stay here forever. I wish I could turn around and go back. By right, I should've been living like this forever. Right here. If none of this had happened... they'd all be alive and well now. And Nezuko would've lived in the sunlight, under a blue sky. If none of this had happened... If none of this had happened... I should be here making charcoal every day. I never would've laid my hand on a sword. If none of this had happened... If none of this had happened... But I've lost them now. [...] I can never go back. Sorry! I'm sorry, Rokuta! We can never be together anymore. But I'll always think of you, okay? I'll be thinking of you all. There are lots of things to thank you for. Lots of things to be sorry for! But I will never forget you! No matter what, my heart will always be with you!"
- (To Akaza) "Don't run away! Don't run away, you coward! Don't run away! The Demon Slayer Corps is always fighting you Demons in the dark of the night where you have the advantage! That's right, us flesh-and-blood humans! Our wounds won't close up that quickly. And we cannot regenerate a limb once lost! Don't run away, you bastard! You bastard! You coward! Rengoku is way more amazing than you! He's stronger! Rengoku didn't lose! He didn't let anybody die! He fought to the end! He protected them to the end! You're the one who lost! It's Rengoku who won!"
- "I heard my father was born with a faint mark on his forehead but not me. I'm definitely not a chosen one. But... even if I don't have the powers of a chosen one... there are times in life when you simply can't back down! Because there are monsters in this world. Monsters with no souls. Monsters who take life without hesitation, remorse or regret. Their aggression... is something I can't forgive!."
- (To Muichiro Tokito) "Helping others often ends up helping yourself."
- (To Zohakuten) "You guys all reek of blood! You've probably eaten two hundred people! What did those people do to you? Did they do something they had to pay for with their lives?! You've killed and eaten a lot of people! So don't play the victim! Your whole being is twisted! And I can't forgive that! You devil! I'm going to cut off your head!"
- (To Daki) "A life that's lost can never return. It's gone forever. A demon's body isn't made of human flesh. Why do you steal peoples' lives? Why do you ruin them? What is it that makes life interesting? What do you think life is?"
- (To Akaza) "Everything you're saying is wrong. Your presence here now is proof. Everyone is a helpless baby when they're born. Same with you Akaza. You don't remember it, but when you were a baby... someone protected and helped you too. The strong protect the weak. Then the weak get stronger and help those weaker than themselves. That is the law of nature!"
- (To Genya Shinazugawa) "The weakest person has the greatest potential, Genya. When I fought that Upper Rank 6, it was like that. Precisely because I was weak, I was able to change the situation. The opponent can only focus on a certain number of us. The rest depends on how the enemy divides its attention. The enemy is warier of strong people, so the wall of their caution is thick. If they think someone is weak, that wall is thinner. So if a weak person acts unexpectedly and breaks through the wall... then all at once the direction of the wind changes and a way to victory opens."
- (To Gyomei Himejima) "I always wanted to proceed down a path without making mistakes, but I don't know what lies ahead. Someone always helps me and as a result I get by without making any mistakes[…] So don't be too quick to respect me. Thank you for the water. And thank you for training me. I've learned a lot."
- (To himself) "It's a tremendous task that's sure to put me through hell. I don't have Yoriichi's or my father's skill. I don't even know if I can stay alive until dawn. Besides, how can I prevent Muzan from escaping? I can understand why someone might lose confidence. Can I do what Yoriichi himself couldn't? Nevertheless, I will do everything I can. I'll keep my heart burning. I will not lose. I will not break."
- (To Muzan Kibutsuji in regards of the Demon Slayer Corps) "None of them are like this. There are people that risk their lives for someone else. Because they are people that don't want others to go through... the same suffering and sadness that they did."
- (To everyone) "I dream of a bright future where the people I love are smiling until the day they depart for heaven. I hope that they will live happily and I pray that they will live safely without fear. Even if I'm no longer there. I want them to live. To live their lives to their fullest. I'm sure if you were me, you'd say the same thing."
- (To everyone) "To be born is a blessing. Please, do not forget to smile. When you cry, it's unbearably sad. Do not look back in remorse. Just remember that we were here... fighting together and laughing together like brothers and sisters, or like parents and children. Be proud. Meeting you was most fortunate and it brought happiness. Your existence saved me and drove away loneliness. Thoughts of you cause strength to rise from deep inside, like a fire. If possible, everyone would desire to live and stay by each other's side. But they had to make a choice. Live or die. Win or lose. But to have any choice at all is fortunate. True suffering is like an avalanche. It swallows a person in an instant and offers no choice. They just wanted to protect others. Other lives were more important than their own. Happiness isn't about the length of your life. I want you to see the depth of this happiness I have. I have never thought for a moment that I was unhappy. We never gave up or ran away and we kept our faith. And we always gave it everything we had. Many strong feelings became an immense blade and defeated our enemy. That was due to everyone's strengths. Victory would have been impossible without even one of us. Life itself is a miracle. You are precious. You are important. Please, live the best you can, my most beloved friends"