Never give up thinking things through. With unceasing effort, you can eventually break through any wall.
Tanjuro suffered from an illness which made his skin appear dull, pale and very fragile. He is noted to be similar in appearance to his son Tanjiro, bearing the same dark red eyes, black hair with red tips hair, and forehead scar.
Tanjuro also wore a similar outfit as his son, except with an orange and black patterned haori instead of dark turquoise and black. The earrings he wore when he was alive were passed down from his ancestor and then later to Tanjiro.
When performing the Kagura ritual dance, Tanjuro took the appearance of an Iwami Kagura dancer with a long sleeved dark brown dress with golden and crimson red frames with a large blindfold covering his entire face with the kanji for flames (炎?) inscribed on it. He also wielded a wooden blade giving the appearance of the kanji (
Tanjuro was a quiet, calculating, forgiving, charismatic and loving person. He had peaceful relationship with his family and regularly lectured Tanjiro about life.
While he appeared calm on the outside, he showed a decent, noble aura with a quiet perception to his surroundings. According to his son, he did not like standing out or displaying his true abilities to others. However, if his family is in danger, he would not hesitate to protect them and shows no mercy towards the enemy.
At some point in his life, Tanjuro married Kie and had their six children.
Tanjuro seemed to have a connection with the demon-killing world but in his final years was a wise but sick and frail man.
He died some time before the slaughter of his wife and youngest children but still manages to inspire his two remaining children.
Tanjiro has to fight against Lower Rank 5, Rui, and is nearly killed by his Blood Demon Art when a flashback of his father telling him to breathe and become Hinokami resurfaces in his memories. Tanjiro remembers himself and Nezuko as children watching their father perform the Hinokami Kagura throughout the night. Tanjiro asks his mother how Tanjuro's able to perform the Hinokami Kagura throughout the freezing night, only for him to be told there is a way to breathe so that he can dance no matter the temperature. Tanjuro then tells Tanjiro to make sure the hanafuda earrings and the kagura get passed down uninterrupted, no matter what. Tanjiro then switches from the Water Breathing, Tenth Form: Constant Flux, to use the Hinokami Kagura: Dance.
Overall Abilities: Tanjuro was shown to be a phenomenally strong individual despite not being a Demon Slayer and having a tragic disease that makes his body incredibly frail. He was able to slay a bear more than two meters tall without even wielding a Nichirin Sword at speeds magnitudes faster than the blink of an eye.
Demon Slayer Mark: As a descendant of the Kamado family and being able to access the "Transparent World", Tanjuro's birthmark on his forehead is secretly a Demon Slayer Mark. This is proven by Shinjuro's explanation that all Sun Breathing users naturally have a mark on their forehead.
- Transparent World: It is revealed that Tanjuro had the ability to foresee his opponent's attacks by seeing their blood flow, muscles and joint movement.
Selfless State: Throughout his entire life, Tanjuro emanated absolutely no sense of drive, hatred, anger, fighting spirit, animosity or fear even in dire situations such as him succumbing to his death or facing against an enormous bear. This is greatly inspired by Yoriichi Tsugikuni's capability to stop his fighting spirit/bloodlust for combat.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Tanjuro had immense stamina and endurance for a non-Demon Slayer, being able to practice the Hinokami Kagura Ritual Dance from dusk to dawn without any rest, despite his illness, frail body and freezing surroundings.
- Tanjuro’s first name contains the kanji for "charcoal" (炭), "ten" (十), and "son" (郎), with the kanji of ten and son (十郎) combine it makes a male suffix "Jūrō".
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "Thank you, Tanjiro. But for the last few years I haven't felt the Kagura was difficult. It's strange. When I first just learned the Kagura from your grandfather I was younger, healthier and stronger than now... but back then, I ran out of breath and found it hard. I suppose that was because I made a lot of unnecessary movements. What's important is proper breathing and proper control, making the most efficient moves to exert the greatest amount of strength. When you do that... your head gradually becomes clear."
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "In the beginning, you must learn the moves and sensibilities. You must pick them up. You open your five senses, becoming conscious of your own body down to each and every blood vessel. This period is truly strenuous, and you will think that no matter how much you struggle, you will not be able to go further. After you have learned and absorbed many things, you cut away what is unnecessary. You leave only what is necessary in your movement and close yourself."
- (To a large bear) "I'm sorry you're hungry but I will not let you come any closer. I will show no mercy to anyone who would harm my family... no matter the odds. Heed my warning... or I will steal your life."