Tengen Uzui is a tall muscular young man with white hair though he is usually seen wearing a headwrap featuring a plate covered with jewels of various sizes. He wears a sleeveless version of the standard demon hunter uniform. After his retirement from the Corps due to injuries sustained during his fight with Gyuutaro (he lost an eye and an arm), he is seen during the Pillar Training Arc wearing a patterned yukata with a black haori while replacing his headwrap with a black eyepatch featuring jewels of various size. He held his swords on his back prior to his retirement.
Tengen is a very eccentric person, always wanting to complete actions "flamboyantly". Although he has displayed an uncaring and forceful attitude towards some people, he also has a caring side that is mainly shown towards his most treasured ones, such as his three wives, Makio, Suma, and Hinatsuru.
Kochou Shinobu noted that Tanjirou was on trial, but Tengen simply stated that he would cut Kamado Nezuko's head off "flamboyantly", agreeing with and repeating this latter word when Himejima Gyoumei suggests they kill her. When Tanjirou reiterated his belief that Nezuko will not harm any humans, the Sound Pillar told him not to give them lip service, but rather a more complete explanation. He then remained silent when Kanroji Mitsuri asked if they should be dealing with their subordinate's trial without Oyakata-sama's input. After Tanjirou headbutted Shinazugawa Sanemi, Tengen looked at Mitsuri when she laughed with a neutral expression.
Abilities and Powers
Much like his Fellow Pillars Tengen has displayed numerous superhuman abilities that even allows him to easily overpower and outclass demons in a fight and even allows him to battle on equal footing against the Upper Moons of the Twelve Demon Moons .
- Enhanced strength: Uzui has displayed incredible physical strength during his bout with Gyutaro and Daki, one example is him being to use his blades with great proficiency while only holding them at the tip and with only two fingers.
- Echolocation: Tengen is shown to possess superhuman hearing similar to Zenitsu but being far more advanced than his,as seen when it allowed him to easily hear noises deep underground and immediately figure out that there where underground tunnels and caves directly beneath him by analyzing the sounds reflected and resonated by the taverns and accurately locate and even guess the number of people inside by listening to the sound bounced from their physical bodies.
Breath of Sound (
- First Style: Thunder (
壱ノ 型 轟Ichi no kata: Todoroki?) - Uzui lifts his twin swords above his head and slams them down with great force creating an explosion with his bombs, causing a loud sound resembling thunder.
- Fourth Style: Death Knells of Avīci - Uzui holds his swords apart and spins them rapidly in conjunction with releasing his bombs, making this technique a combination of offense and defense.
- Fifth Style: Symphony of Shrill Strings - Uzui holds one of his swords with a reverse grip, and spins the other using the chain that connects them. He couples this by also releasing numerous bombs to detonate. This technique was able to overpower an Upper Moon demon.
Before Uzui became a Demon Hunter then Pillar, he was originally a Shinobi as stated by Gyutaro.
In his initial design; Uzui was:
- Less muscular with a far thinner build,
- Had of his face covered in bandages, making it hard for others to see what he looks like,
- Wore sleeves due to not wanting his "arms sunburned(?)" according to the author.