This is a big country and it's teeming with incredible people. Some are a mystery... and a few have a natural way with the sword and become a Hashira in two months. So I'm chosen? Gimme a break. You have no clue how much I've lost over the years!
Tengen Uzui (
Tengen is a very tall, wide-set man of a bulky, muscular build with lightly-tanned skin. His hair is white and of uneven length, the longest strands reaching his shoulders, and is styled with three more notable, shorter clumps arching up to fall as bangs between his eyes and on either side of his face. He has quite thin, maroon eyes that appear to slant inwards, each with one long eyelash flowing to the far side of his face.
During his days serving Demon Slayer Corps, Tengen wears a sleeveless and dark turquoise version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, along with a wrap of burgundy cloth around his calves where his hakama pants tuck in, and white-strapped sandals. He also wears two thick, golden rings around his upper arms and what appear to be a pair of fingerless blue gloves, secured around his middle finger with a band of white and his wrists with another set of thinner gold rings, this time with two on each side. As well as this, Tengen sports a white head-wrap that covers his hair, leaving only a thin ponytail visible to fall behind his head from between its layers, which is adorned with a large headband of pale gray that's decorated by six light pink gemstones, three large and arranged in a line, and three small and arranged in a triangle to the far left. A chain of smaller, pale blue gemstones hangs from each side of this headdress, framing his face, and he also wears what looks to be red eye make-up around his left eye, consisting of alternating large and small dots that run inwards, towards his eye.
After his retirement from the Demon Slayer Corps due to the injuries his sustained during his fight with one of the Upper Rank Six Demons, Gyutaro, Tengen changes his appearance to coordinate the loss of his left eye and hand. He now wears a long, aqua colored yukata and a black haori, and replaces his old head-wrap with a dark eyepatch adorned with what look to be the remaining gemstones left over from his old headdress, leaving his hair to fall loosely past his shoulders.
Tengen is a very eccentric person, always wanting to complete actions "flamboyantly." Although he has displayed an uncaring and forceful attitude towards some people—he gets excited imagining how "flamboyant" it would be if Tanjiro Kamado's blood vessels exploded, and tries to forcefully haul Aoi Kanzaki off to the Entertainment District with him so she can unwillingly help him with a dangerous mission—he also has a caring side that is mainly only shown towards his most treasured ones, most notably his three wives, Makio, Suma, and Hinatsuru. He also shows a somewhat nicer side towards Tanjiro after their mission and starts to accept him more as the series goes on.
Although it is heavily implied, Tengen likely has self esteem issues and deep regrets under his outgoing front. During the battle with Gyutaro, he compared himself to his fellow Hashira, (Muichiro Tokito, Gyomei Himejima, Kyojuro Rengoku) for having natural talent. He also thinks that he is not capable of nurturing others like Rengoku or Shinobu.
Despite being a shinobi that has traditionally valued completing the mission over all else, Tengen has rejected that ideology after seeing its effect on his family. Now, he believes that his subordinates, whether they be his wives or the Demon Slayers under his command, should value their lives, and the lives of innocents, over their missions or his own.
Overall Abilities: As a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Tengen is a very powerful swordsman. He has displayed numerous abilities that allow him to easily overpower Demons in a fight and even allow him to battle on par against the Upper Rank of the Twelve Kizuki. During his fight against Gyutaro, he was able to fight evenly with the Upper Rank Six while protecting others at the same time, a feat made all the more impressive by the fact that he also had to fight off Daki as well during one point in the fight. As the Sound Hashira, Tengen utilizes a sound-based combat style.
Enhanced Hearing: Tengen has displayed superhuman hearing similar to that of Zenitsu Agatsuma. This ability allows him to easily hear noises deep underground, and he uses it to immediately figure out that there are underground tunnels and caves directly beneath him when he's looking for Tanjiro Kamado and Daki. His sound detection ability is so advanced that he can read his opponents movements and deconstructing them into sound by analyzing the rhythm of his opponent's movements. Through this, he is able to take advantage of their openings to much greater effect by striking in a way similar to making the beat to a song.
- Echolocation: As an advanced application of his heightened hearing, Tengen also possesses echolocation. When trying to find the location of a battle underground, he analyzed the sounds reflected and resonated through the air by the walls of the caverns, and accurately locates and is even able to guess the number of people inside the tunnels by listening to the sound bouncing from their physical bodies.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: Tengen possesses great speed, as stated by Inosuke Hashibira. He is able to cut off Daki's head twice before she can even register his movements, move faster than an asleep Zenitsu Agatsuma, Inosuke Hashibira and Tanjiro Kamado can see. Despite being severely poisoned, he still was able to keep up with the immense movements speeds of Gyutaro and Daki.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Due to his upbringing being raised to become a ninja and his own father's increased attempts to revive their clan by forcing Tengen and his siblings to train even more harshly and painfully then necessary, Tengen developed powerful resistance to pain, as seen where he bared little to no reaction at having being caught up in a hail of Kunai knives and being pierced by them without even flinching or showing any form of discomfort or pain, continuing his battle against Gyutaro with full concentration. Later Tengen was also noted to have suffered other severe/painful injuries during this battle and managed to acclimate/ignore the pain of such injuries as well.
- Poison Resistance: As a shinobi, Tengen has been shown to possess high resistance to poison to the point where he could continue fighting while under the effects of a poison from Gyutaro  that should have killed him instantly.
Immense Strength: Tengen possesses great physical strength as he can hold both his enormous cleavers at their tip and with only two fingers, as well as being able to match Gyutaro in strength with only one hand after his left hand was cut off. In an arm-wrestling contest between Hashira, Tengen is ranked second, with only Gyomei surpassing him.
Tactical Intellect: Tengen has a lot of experience in battle as a ninja and Demon Slayer, shown during his battle with Gyutaro, where he displayed incredible judgement, making decisions on the fly while he is using his anti-demon bombs. Even when he was poisoned, he was able to properly determine the most efficient strategy to fight off the Upper Rank while preventing civilians from getting caught in the cross-fire. He even fooled Gyutaro into thinking he was dead by stopping his own heart to prevent himself from dying from his poison.
- First Form: Roar (
壱ノ 型 轟Ichi no kata: Todoroki?) - The user lifts their twin swords above their head and slams them down with great force whilst simultaneously creating an explosion with his bombs to deal massive physical damage, causing a loud sound resembling thunder as a result
- Fourth Form: Constant Resounding Slashes (
肆ノ 型 響 斬 無 間Shi no kata: Kyōzan Muken?) - The user holds their swords apart and spins them rapidly in conjunction with releasing his bombs, creating massive explosions while defending themselves from attacks.
- Fifth Form: String Performance (
伍ノ 型 鳴 弦 奏 々Go no kata: Meigen Sōsō?) - The user holds one of their swords with a reverse grip and spins the other using the chain that connects them. They couple this by also releasing numerous bombs to detonate, causing great explosions that deal massive physical damage.
Dual Giant Nichirin Cleavers: Befitting Tengen's flamboyant personality, he carries an equally flamboyant set of weaponry. As his main weapons, he uses two larger-than-normal Nichirin Blades that are amber in color, which each have a notch in the sharp ends of their blades and are held together at the hilt by a metal chain. His swords are said to have large amounts of explosive power, and it is stated that, until Tengen's fight with Upper Rank Six, no one had ever survived a blow from them. His hilt circular shaped with 4 slight indentations and gold in color, there's a maroon ring that connects to the center; it has an outer green border. His blades are engraved with the phrase Destroy Demons (
- Before Tengen became a Demon Slayer and then a Hashira, he was originally a Shinobi, as stated by Gyutaro.
- In his initial design, Tengen:
- Was less muscular with a far thinner build.
- Had of his face covered in bandages, making it hard for others to see what he looks like.
- Wore sleeves due to him "not wanting his arms sunburned," according to the author.
- Tengen is one of the only known Demon Slayer and Hashira to retire due to being permanently disabled instead of death or age, the other being Jigoro Kuwajima.
- He and Inosuke Hashibira are the only known Demon Slayers who use two Nichirin Blades instead of one.
- Tengen's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Tengen ranked 37th in the first popularity poll with 14 votes.
- Tengen ranked 13th in the second popularity poll with 3436 votes.
- (To Gyutaro and Daki) "Do I look like I have talent to you? You've got a pretty rosy outlook on life if that's what you think. Then again, you've been hiding out here for hundreds of years so I guess you've got a pretty ignorant view of the world. This is a big country and it's teeming with incredible people. Some are a mystery... and a few have a natural way with the sword and become a Hashira in two months. So I'm chosen? Gimme a break. You have no clue how much I've lost over the years!"
- (To Kagaya Ubuyashiki) "Master, it is I who am thankful who am thankful to you. You showed me something worth risking my life for. Doing so is merely a matter of course. People who struggle with their inner conflict are foolish weaklings. I see what must be done and I do it."