I hate myself more than anyone. I always think I have to get my act together, but I end up cowering, running away, sniveling. I want to change. I want to be a competent person.
— Zenitsu Agatsuma's desire to change for the better in You Must Master a Single Thing
Zenitsu Agatsuma (
Zenitsu is a young boy of average height with fair skin and downward-sloped, scared-looking eyes that fade from soft brown to gold. He has short, yellow hair of varying lengths, cutting off squarely at the ends where it fades to a darker orange color, that falls in front of his face in uneven bangs. Before he became a Demon Slayer, Zenitsu's hair was originally black, but it turned the color it is currently when he was struck by lightning during his training.
For some time following the battle at Mount Natagumo, his limbs temporarily shrunk due to the Spider Demon (Son)'s poison but were able to return to normal afterward thanks to the medicine given to him by Shinobu Kocho.
He wears a paler brown version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, which consists of a dark brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and hakama pants that extend, as well as his signature white-triangle patterned, yellow and orange gradient haori. As well as this, Zenitsu also sports a pair of Kyahan, tied at the front in 3 white bows, with the same pattern as his haori, pale brown tabi socks and white-laced zōri.
Zenitsu comes off as a coward, as he often claims that he doesn't have long to live due to the dangerous job of being a Demon Slayer. He also has rather low self-esteem despite his strength, even considering himself useless as seen when he couldn't believe he had slain a demon and tricked himself into instead believing that it was Shoichi, even though the latter was a young child who didn't possess any form of special demon-slaying ability. Zenitsu is in a constant state of fear and always cries and tries to run away at the sight of danger, claiming he wants to live a modest, normal life, instead of that of a Demon Slayer. Due to this, Zenitsu screams and shouts a lot, sometimes annoying the people around him. He is also shown to be pessimistic at times, especially during the Hashira Training Arc where he lashed out at Tanjiro and Inosuke for viewing the training positively.
However, despite these weaknesses, Zenitsu still wants to live up to the expectations others set up for him and will try his hardest when he needs to. He holds great respect and admiration towards his comrades and his deceased teacher, Jigoro Kuwajima, and his inner focus and drive in avenging him help to wash away his cowardice and second thoughts when he is in a pinch. Zenitsu also hates himself for how cowardly and incompetent he is, genuinely striving to better himself.
Zenitsu is also shown to be something of a wannabe womanizer, stemming from a desire to not be single should he be killed. He tends to hit on girls who he thinks are cute and asks them to marry him, much to their annoyance. This womanizing nature is shown to override his docile personality, in particular when he believes his comrades are "flirting" with cute girls, he soon snaps and goes in long hysterical rants and complaints. Zenitsu seems to have a strong crush on Nezuko, openly expressing his affection for her and always rushing to protect her as if on instinct. During these times, he is also shown to become physically aggressive, lashing out at them in frustration. Though, Zenitsu does show to respect women, telling Daki to let go of a girl that Daki nearly tore the ear off of, and later demanded her to apologize.
As the only one boy in the trio to have grown up in the city, Zenitsu shows more knowledge about how the city works and is constantly embarrassed by his partners' naivety.
Before the raid on the Infinity Castle, Zenitsu gives off a different, more serious vibe as if he is focused on something important. This development occurred after receiving a letter from Chuntaro, which revealed his master's death and Kaigaku's role behind it. During his fight against Kaigaku, Zenitsu is stern and becomes enraged, causing him to angrily yell at him for disrespecting their cultivator. His sudden change surprises his ex-senior, as Zenitsu shows a more mature persona compared to his usual cowardice.
Overall Abilities: From the beginning, Zenitsu comes off as a talented and skilled Demon Slayer, though he denies this. Zenitsu's true strength awakens when he is asleep, as that's when his nerves that normally keep him from accessing his true strength give out, making him more sagacious, calm and precise in combat, which allowed him to instantly decapitate the Tongue Demon and defeat the Son Spider Demon by himself. He was later able to defend 3 entire train carts being under attack by Enmu, Lower Rank One, along with Nezuko. A few months after that, he was able to go toe-to-toe with an awakened Daki with the assistance of Inosuke, and later managed to blitz her with Thunderclap and Flash: God Speed. As further credence to his strength, Zenitsu was able to advance to the highest point of the Hashira Training.
However, his true strength seems to manifest when Zenitsu can fight while awake, as he managed to match the new Upper Rank Six, Kaigaku, in power by himself and later blizted and decapitated him before he could react, although he sustained several severe injuries. However, it was displayed that his feelings of regret and melancholy were the only things keeping Zenitsu from immediately killing Kaigaku, his former senior. Moreover, he could keep up with and overpower the Demon King, Muzan Kibutsuji, albeit he was severely weakened by the Anti-Kibutsuji Drug. Nonetheless, Zenitsu's strength more than likely matched that of the Hashira by the end of the series.
Enhanced Hearing: Zenitsu possesses a heightened sense of hearing, allowing him to detect danger from even the faintest of sounds. Using his superhuman hearing, he has displayed the ability to decipher layers upon layers of sound in one of the brothels and even in the Infinity Castle. As another testament to his great sound detection ability, he can perfectly replicate any tune he hears on a Shamisen and Koto only after listening to it once for the first time, achieving a perfect pitch despite having no musical background. Zenitsu's extraordinary hearing also enables him to fight in his asleep, an impressive feat as he has no visual aid and can only use sound to discern his surroundings while keeping up with the attacks of demons.
- Extrasensory Perception: Zenitsu's hearing allows him to hear and pick up sounds outside the normal range of perception, such as detecting a person's thoughts, emotions and even their personality just by picking up the subtle sounds they produce. Moreover, he can discern a human from a demon by comparing the sounds they make, which also allows him to determine their strength to an extent as Daki, an Upper Rank demon, has a more terrible sound than normal demons.
Enhanced Strength: Zenitsu has attained amazing physical strength through years of harsh training. Zenitsu can hold down Inosuke Hashibira with his bare hands and throw his entire body by grabbing to and swinging one of his legs. Most importantly, Zenitsu has incredible leg strength allowing him to jump extremely high and at blistering speeds to perform his Thunder Breathing techniques. He was also able to damage the body of Muzan, whose body has the highest durability out of all the demons, further testifying his superhuman physical strength.
Immense Speed & Reflexes: Zenitsu is extremely fast, being able to easily move faster than even the eye can see. Even at the beginning of the series when he was at his weakest, shown when his speed could evade the attacks of several demons such as the Tongue Demon and Son Spider Demon effortlessly and later blitz them. During the Mugen Train Arc, he was able to save Nezuko from Lower Rank One, Enmu's, flesh appendages, and slice through many of them before Enmu could react.
As he progresses, his speed has improved to the point that his movements couldn't be perceived by Upper Rank demons, like Daki and Kaigaku, the former's reflexes having been amplified multiple times during the fight and latter being a user of the same Breathing Style as Zenitsu. Moreover, Zenitsu could move faster than Kaigaku's lightning Blood Demon Art and cut his neck before the attack reached him. More impressively, Zenitsu could land multiple hits on the imperceptibly fast Demon King, Muzan Kibutsuji, with his techniques, albeit he was severely weakened then.
Immense Stamina & Endurance: Zenitsu has incredible stamina and endurance. He has been shown to continue fighting even after being affected by lethal poison from the Son Spider Demon that was gradually weakening him and turning him into a spider. He was also able to defend 3 train cars with Nezuko for an extended period of time without tiring out. Later, Zenitsu, along with Inosuke, engaged in combat with Upper Rank Six, Daki, for a relatively long period of time, even after receiving numerous wounds from the Upper Rank and later was trapped under rubble. Still, Zenitsu had enough stamina left to unleash his Thunderclap and Flash: God Speed technique against twice, once to get out of the rubble, the second to blitz Daki.
He was able to continue fighting with Kaigaku even after being on the receiving end of multiple Blood Demon Art-enhanced Thunder Breathing techniques that burned his skin and eventually summon enough power to use his ultimate technique and blitz him. Zenitsu was even able to exert himself for around half an hour during the fight against Muzan, even being able to surpass his limit of only being able to use his Thunderclap and Flash: God Speed technique twice a day before his legs gave out.
Indomitable Will: Zenitsu possesses indomitable willpower and spirit in order to kill demons. This was displayed when he absolutely refused to let Inosuke kill the demon inside Tanjiro's box, and protected it to the end despite getting relentlessly beat up by Inosuke. While he was asleep against the battle against Daki, Zenitsu had the willpower to continue fighting despite sustaining numerous slash wounds all over his body and having his feet broken. Through sheer will and anger, Zenitsu was able to overcome his cowardice and stay awake in battle against demons, shown during his bout with Kaigaku and Muzan, especially in the fight with the latter in which he refused to give up and persisted despite being enervated and injured.
Tactical Intellect: Even when fighting unconscious, Zenitsu has displayed incredible judgement and tactical intellect. When fighting consciously, this ability is fully released. This able was best exhibited during his battle against Upper Rank Six, Daki. When Inosuke made an erroneous deduction of her weaknesses, Zenitsu correctly explicated that all they need to do is keep both demons' head disconnected to kill them. After his bout with Kaigaku commenced, he was able to clearly think and process his techniques and demonic abilities.
Unconscious Combat: Zenitsu has the ability to fight when he sleeps, which allows him to awaken his true strength. While awake, his nerves and fear cause him to freeze up so he cannot move. When his life is in danger, his nerves and fear grow so strong that he passes out. But while asleep, his nerves are no longer holding him back, allowing him to fight and move with great judgement, precision and skill. His hearing also places a big part in allowing Zenitsu to fight unconsciously, as it enables him to discern his surroundings and the location of his enemies and their attacks. This also allows him to fight even after he falls victim to Enmu's spell that makes anyone go into deep sleep.
Master Swordsman: Zenitsu is an incredibly talented swordsman, especially in his proficiency in extremely fast Iaijutsu-like swordsplay and the Thunderclap and Flash technique, to the point he can create offshoots of the technique and utilize it even while he is asleep. His swordsmanship skill allowed him to fend off dozens of spiders and defend 3 train carts that Enmu was constantly attacking. Zenitsu's sword wielding skill evolved to the point that he could fight against Upper Rank demons of the Twelve Kizuki and later matched a severely weakened Muzan, implying that his swordsmanship skill has most likely improved to the point that it matched that of the Hashira, the highest-ranked and most powerful swordsmen in the Demon Slayer Corps.
Thunder Breathing (
- First Form: Thunderclap and Flash (
壱ノ 型 霹 靂 一 閃Ichi no kata: Hekireki Issen?) - The user unsheathes their katana, dashes forward at blinding speeds and decapitates their opponent faster than they can react, before sheathing it back. This technique is extremely reminiscent of Iaijutsu and its movements are described to be akin to "lightning ripping through the air".
- Sixfold (
六 連Rokuren?) - An extension of the Thunderclap and Flash technique created by Zenitsu. The user performs Thunderclap and Flash six times in quick succession while slightly augmenting the power and speed of his dashes.
- Eightfold (
八 連Hachiren?) - An extension of the Thunderclap and Flash technique created by Zenitsu. The user performs Thunderclap and Flash eight times in quick succession while slightly augmenting the power and speed of his dashes.
- God Speed (
神 速Shinsoku?) - An extension of the Thunderclap and Flash technique created by Zenitsu. The user performs Thunderclap and Flash while greatly augmenting the speed of the technique. During the first display of this technique, an unconscious Zenitsu remarked that he mustn't perform this technique more than 2 times, otherwise his legs would be rendered useless due to muscle fatigue and exhaustion. However, during the battle against Muzan Kibutsuji, Zenitsu has shown improvement in the proficiency of this technique, allowing him to use it more than 2 times while still maintaining the power and speed of the technique.
- Sixfold (
- Seventh Form: Honoikazuchi no Kami (
漆ノ 型 火 雷 神Shichi no kata: Honoikazuchi no Kami?, lit. Seventh Form: Flaming Thunder God) - The personal creation of Zenitsu Agatsuma. The user dashes forward at blinding speeds and unleashes a singular forward slash at a low stance, which is seemingly accompanied by a yellow Japanese dragon shaped like a lightning bolt.
Game Exclusive Techniques
- First Form: Thunderclap and Flash, Prime (
壱ノ 型 霹 靂 一 閃・ 極Ichi no kata: Hekireki Issen - Kiwami?) - A variation of the Thunderclap and Flash created by Zenitsu. The user performs Thunderclap and Flash with such strength that they crack and uproot the ground beneath them, and tear up the ground afterwards trying to arrest their momentum.. This move can be performed mid-air, which launches the user at an angle towards the ground as they strike.
- Air Spin (
空 転Kūten?) - The user delivers a circular spinning slash in the air to their opponent.
Standard Nichirin Katana: As a Demon Slayer, Zenitsu around a standard sized and shaped Nichirin katana with lightning streaks along the entire blade. His sword's hilt is circular shaped with 4 slight indentations, the center has a silver tone with small triangles and has a golden border. With his katana, Zenitsu has a standard sword sheath that is deep black in color.
- Zenitsu's surname means "my wife" (我妻 agatsuma?), while his given name means "goodness" (善逸 zen'itsu?). His first name contains the kanji for "good" (善 zen?) and "special, unique" (逸 itsu?)
- Zenitsu's rankings in the popularity polls are as follows:
- Zenitsu ranked 2nd place in the first popularity poll with 4,299 votes.
- Zenitsu ranked 1st place in the second popularity poll with 17,451 votes.
- Zenitsu also appeared in The Promised Neverland's 2020 popularity poll, ranking 29th place with 44 votes.
- Thanks to his hearing, Zenitsu is very skilled at playing the shamisen and the koto.
- Zenitsu has also been mispronounced by Inosuke. Examples including Monitsu (
紋 逸Mon'itsu?) and Chuitsu (チュウ 逸Chū'itsu?) in his dream as a squirrel squire.
- In a Weekly Shonen Jump spoof 4-koma, Zenitsu plays the shamisen in the band "Chic-N-Scruffy Democracy," the other members being Tanjiro (vocals), Inosuke (taiko), and Tengen (harmonica). "Melancholy of Explosive Sound Skin and Modern Sense of Smell" is their debut single, and it reportedly made everyone who heard it feel dizzy and nauseous. Zenitsu also wrote a song entitled "Past Life Sins" for the band under the name "zenithu☆A."
- Zenitsu is the only non-Hashira Demon Slayer to have done feats specifically only Hashira have done:
- Zenitsu has an overbite.
- The pattern on Zenitsu's haori may be inspired by Uroko, a traditional Japanese pattern that symbolizes scales. Samurai would wear clothing with this pattern to protect themselves from harm.
- After the events of the story, Zenitsu wrote a memoir entitled "The Legend of Zenitsu".
- Zenitsu is superstitious as he was shown to be delighted seeing two tea stalks in his tea in the extra chapters. In Japan, seeing Chabashira or a tea stalk floating vertically in your teacup when you have Japanese green tea is a sign of good luck.
- There are six forms, but Zenitsu could only learn the first form said to be the basis for the others yet he honed it to where he could fight against several strong demons. He later created a seventh form and defeated his former senior who had become the Upper Rank Six of the Twelve Kizuki.
- Zenitsu's a city boy and has rode on trains before. That was why going out and training with his master in the mountains was 10 times harder for him than it was for Tanjiro and Inosuke. He also doesn't really care for the inconveniences of the countryside.
- Zenitsu's hearing allowed him to hear the sickening remarks that girls made on him behind his back. This caused him to be scared of girls so much that he couldn't stand it anymore (though his naturally cheery and persistent nature allowed him to recover quickly).
- Though Zenitsu fell in love with Nezuko at first sight, he was skeptical of how Tanjiro described her. He couldn't believe that girls could be so one-sidedly kind. When he saw how Nezuko wasn't two-faced and was truly kind, he became so happy that he saw paradise for a moment and almost ascended to heaven.
- Zenitsu's debt is estimated to be around 600,000 yen in modern currency.
- This massive amount of debt likely came from his 7 ex-girlfriends. Despite all of them being beautiful, they treated Zenitsu like a slave, tricked him as well as robbing him of his money. Zenitsu also never got to even hold their hands.
- Zenitsu loves sweet and expensive foods (specifically "high-quality eel" (
高 級な 鰻Kōkyū'na Munagi?), more commonly known as kabayaki ( 蒲 焼?)), so if he hadn't become a swordsman, he'd be chubby.
- In Kimetsu Academy, Zenitsu is a morals officer who ended up on the committee despite not wanting to. He does uniform checks every day by the school gate while being terrified of delinquents.
- (To himself) "I hate myself more than anyone. I always think I have to get my act together, but I end up cowering, running away, sniveling. I want to change. I want to be a competent person."
- (To himself regarding Kyojuro Rengoku's death) "People don't simply recover instantly. No matter how strong someone is, they can feel pain and sadness. But hiding from it doesn't solve anything. You must rouse your aching heart and stand back up. I'm sure Rengoku was that kind of person."
- (To Daki) "Before you die, I have a task for you. Apologize to the girl whose ear you nearly tore off. It may be your money that pays for their clothing, food and housing, but those girls aren't your toys. You won't get away with this."
- (To Kaigaku) "Grandfather wasn't senile. If I'm scum, then you're trash. I feel sorry for grandpa for having such pathetic successors. I can only do the First Form and you can do everything except that!"
- (To Kaigaku) "This is my form. I created it, so it's all mine. With this technique... I wanted to fight you as an equal!"
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) "Tanjiro! Focus on staying alive! Can you hear me? Don't die! You can't die! Nezuko's gonna to be human again! And you're gonna get her out of here! And go back to the house where you grew up! Your family is waiting for you two to return!"